Menu

How can you get students caught up to grade level?

home4school

I have two ds that are way behind, especially in math. This is due mainly to us switching math programs repeatedly in the early years, trying to find the "perfect" one that would make math FUN and make the lightbulb come on. I all the searching and changing, we have settled in with CLE for the long haul.

Problem is, one son "should be" 4th grade now (his birthdate is 4/21/98) and is currently working out of LU 307. We "should be" in about 408! Other son "should be" 6th grade now (his birthdate is 6/9/96) and is currently working out of LU 503! We "should be" in about 608! He is probably what would be diagnosed ADHD in a big way. We have not wanted to go the medication route and are trying to work this out without it, but daily work is a huge struggle.

Is there some plan or method to "catch up" where we "need" to be. I keep using all the "", because I wonder if where the public schools say they need to be is what I should be going by anyway. My 9yo is small for his size, so he is always the smallest in co-op classes and things that are divided by grade level. This makes him always feel bad. My 11yo, I feel, lacks the maturity and focus of what would be needed of a junior high student. But, I don't want them to feel the stigma of being "held back" a grade. Family is always critical of our choice to homeschool, and me letting them get behind is only supporting their beliefs!

I am torn between holding them back in the fall, which would make it much easier to get back on track grade wise, or pushing ahead. So, if I decide to avoid the holding back, is there a general plan to get caught up. I don't know whether to try two lessons a day, which for my ADHD ds would probably take all day, or try skipping some things.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Blessings,

Kim

First of all, CLE is usually advanced in math, from what I have seen. Secondly, if your child is working to his capability, then he is not "behind". I have a dd that does not know as much math as I would like her to know at her age. So, we are moving more quickly through her math book. Another dd is approximately where I would like her to be, so I have her do one lesson a day. Since this is "your" homeschool, you can go as quickly or slowly as you choose. You can also call your child whatever you want in terms of grades. It's all subjective.

Keep in mind that CLE math is actually quite a bit "ahead" of most public school programs. Not that we should march lockstep with them, but the fact that they're a year "behind" per CLE's grade levels does not mean that they're a grade behind their age peers.

You don't say what your schedule is, but you may need to do math year-round or nearly every day in order to catch up if that's your goal. Some folks I know have even done math 7 days a week for this reason, or you could skip the quizzes and tests if you feel that monitoring them on the lessons is enough. I'm OK doing double lessons if it's easy for them, but I wouldn't do do double lessons in your case. My son is actually on CLE LU 504 and he's in fifth grade, and I've already told him that he's going to do math all summer 5 days a week with the goal of having him start their 6th program in September because I want to move to a more "standard" year. He's skipping the quizzes but not the end-of-unit tests.

HTH!

I have found that math games and enrichment activities really help my dc take huge leaps in mental math and math thinking. Use the abacus, play math war, play all kinds of math facts games, use the R & S games, the Peggy Kaye math games book, living math books, grocery store math, games with coins, etc.

HTH,

Lisa

I've struggled with this too. When my son came home from p.s at the end of grade one, we had to remediate and that put us behind in everything.

Here's how I see it: you can't judge whether you are behind until you know where you are going and when you want to be there.

#1 what are you catching up to? How far do you want your sons to get in math? Is it Algebra by Grade nine? Does it matter? Can he get to it in Grade 10, if that doesn't look feasible?

#2 How far does he need to go? Can he do algebra in grade 11 and Geomoetry in Grade 12 and call it a day? (That would be about as much Math as I ever had--and more than I wanted in p.s! I was an "artsy" girl....) For someone who isn't going to pursue the "math" related fields.....what minimum do you need? (And for what? University entrance requirements? An apprenticeship? Further self-study? Building his own company?)

Remember too, that he will be an adult someday--if he chooses, say to become an engineer, he can remediate himself with courses. I know it isn't ideal--but seriously, are they likely to pursue such a path?

Let's assume the worst, that they will require all the higher level math in the upper grades: well, you will have to spend more time on math, then. You will have to cut History, or a few Great books or something from your schedule and let them work intensely. They will be self-motivated and interested--if they are not, then that's not their path! Not now, though. Now, keep the options open and provide the smorgasboard of education that you have chosen--so that they may choose, later!

What's really important , right now, is getting the skills they need down in a solid way. Itf you hit something they've already covered, do two questions to make sure they haven't lost their skills and speed up. If you hit something completely new and frustrating, slow down and make sure it is mastered before you move on.

But do not rush anything for the sake of "catching up".

A couple of you mentioned CLE being ahead, but that's another thing that has me concerned. While I have no intention of switching programs yet again, a close hsing friend looked through my ds books and gave an "Oh my, these are soooo behind A Beka" opinion with a look mixed in of "How could you do this to your children".

Kinda' makes you rethink the whole hs thing! Maybe I should have left them in ps!

Blessings,

Kim

Secondly, if your child is working to his capability, then he is not "behind"....Since this is "your" homeschool, you can go as quickly or slowly as you choose. You can also call your child whatever you want in terms of grades. It's all subjective.

I wholeheartedly agree. There is no reason to rush through a book simply so you can 'catch up'. If they need to slow down to absorb the material, then do it! If they are zipping along and need the next book, then do it!

For simplicity, 'label' them with whatever grade matches their age.

But teach them to their abilities, not to an arbitrary age/grade.

And turn a deaf ear to that 'friend' of yours. You are doing just fine. :)

I don't know whether or not CLE is ahead of public schools or Abeka. Even if it isn't, don't worry about making comparisons. If any of the previous ideas sounds daunting, try doing one and a half lessons each day instead of just one.

We use Saxon and if we've gotten behind my own self-imposed schedule we combine lessons. We'll walk through say lessons 58 and 59 and do both practice sections, but will do only the problems for lesson 59. Since Saxon reviews everything in each lesson this works pretty well.

Good luck.

I would just keep working, maybe taking less of a break in the summer (if you're not already schooling year-round)...not "pushing ahead," but just consistently working.

It isn't possible, IMHO, to be "behind" in, say, history or science. And really, if your dc's reading levels are close to their age level, they can't really be "behind" in spelling or grammar, and even composition skills can be acquired at later ages than you might think.

It's so easy to get into comparison with homeschool materials. Since we all, in essense, create individual paths for our children's education it shouldn't be happening.

Please don't think as your son as behind grade level, that is one of the beauties of homeschooling, you can speed up or slow down as necessary. As other posters have said you can spend summer break to continue moving forward.

My ds10 (4th grade) is all over the board in his skills. On grade level on some, behind grade level on other, ahead in a few. I am using the tools necessary to educate my child, not have my child molded to any one curriculum or grade level (hope that makes sense).

Don't let your family get on you either. I have one family member that is quite sure I am ruining my son by chosing to educate him. I chose to reply with one liners and then smile. And when I need it I get online with some great ladies to restore my confidence.