Menu

What do you use for writing?

We have been doing copywork, but until now that is mostly for penmanship as he couldn't really read the words. We did FLL orally and are going to start Winston in the fall. I am wondering if I should start a writing program with him yet or give it more time? Barton's recommends IEW but I don't know if he is ready. He has other issues than just dyslexia, with the major issue being with his memory. I don't have any official diagnosis on that yet, but he is having another eval on the 30th.

So what route would should I go with him?

My dd likes Write Shop. I think it may be for Jr. and Sr. High, though. It helps her to organize her thoughts beforehand by having her fill in informational worksheets so she has almost all of the info needed once she begins her paragraph. I think EPS Publishing has some workbooks that help with writing, as well.

My vote is for Writing Skills by EPS. It has that step-by-step explicit teaching that some kids need. The A Level has my 11yo first making lists of thigs that belong to a topic. The next lesson after that has him making supporting sentences for a topic (and the list of things is given.) Then, he is to come up with a topic for some supporting sentences. And so on - eventually it gets to him writing a paragraph on his own.

The IEW keyword outline method really helped my dyslexic son jump start his writing. I never did the rest of IEW with him but the turning point for him as far as writing goes was when we started the keyword outline approach.

The IEW keyword outline method really helped my dyslexic son jump start his writing. I never did the rest of IEW with him but the turning point for him as far as writing goes was when we started the keyword outline approach.

Is there a certain level that teaches this?

My dd likes Write Shop. I think it may be for Jr. and Sr. High, though. It helps her to organize her thoughts beforehand by having her fill in informational worksheets so she has almost all of the info needed once she begins her paragraph. I think EPS Publishing has some workbooks that help with writing, as well.

Actually, Write Shop has multiple levels stemming all the way down to Kindergarten. I know because I am looking into getting the Kindergarten Write Shop Primary for my own son. I do not know what level your son may need but I really do like the program from what I can tell and individuals that I have spoken to about it seem to like it as well.

We have been using WWE this year, but he simply copies the sentences and hasn't been reading them because he couldn't. Maybe we should redo level 1 next year as he should be able to read a lot of it.

Can he narrate back short passages/stores that you've read to him? Like the ones in FLL?

Writing is going to be difficult until he's really reading, but narration with complete sentences is great prep work.

In your shoes I'd focus on copywork and narration.

Can he narrate back short passages/stores that you've read to him? Like the ones in FLL?

Writing is going to be difficult until he's really reading, but narration with complete sentences is great prep work.

In your shoes I'd focus on copywork and narration.

He can narrate and we have been using FLL and also doing narations from his history (sotw) and science ( apologia). I agree with you that narration/copywork might be a better idea for him until he reading is better.