Menu

Can you please look at this Curr./Schl. and tell me what you think.

I'e been pondering over this school:confused:. This will be my first year hscling and want an academic/lots of support all in one program. My kids will be 6th, 2nd and 1st.

If you have time I will really appreciate.:001_smile::001_smile:

Laurel Springs School www.laurelsprings.com

I've been hearing good things abou BJU, so I just can't decide.:tongue_smilie:

Laurel Springs is known to be a solid curriculum and has been for years upon years.

I gave my opinion about using a full curriculum, esp the first year, in another thread so I'll spare ya.

Have you considered getting LOTS of catalogs and information from various schools and providers and pouring over them? I think my stack, when I first started researching, was taller than my kid at the time!

I'e been pondering over this school:confused:. This will be my first year hscling and want an academic/lots of support all in one program. My kids will be 6th' date=' 2nd and 1st.

If you have time I will really appreciate.:001_smile::001_smile:

Laurel Springs School www.laurelsprings.com

I've been hearing good things abou BJU, so I just can't decide.:tongue_smilie:

You know, you really don't need to sign up with Laurel Springs to get academic/lots of support.

My *strong* recommendation, especially for someone with such very young dc, is NOT to enroll with a distance-learning program of any kind, but to find local homeschoolers to encourage and advise you, and then to make your choices on instructional materials. IOW, your instructional materials would be separate from your support.

You're in Calif, yes? There are TONS of private school programs for hsers, with all the support you can imagine, and it will cost you much, much less than Laurel Springs.

You can use BJUP materials if you'd like, but enrolling in BJUP's distance-learning school would not be a legal option for you, as your dc need to be ernolled in a Calif-based private school; it might be useful or helpful, but you'd still have take other steps to be legal. Laurel Springs is in California and so is a legal option (but you don't *need* it).

There will be a ginormous convention in Long Beach this summer (CHEA of CA), and a pretty good sized one in San Diego the end of May. You should try to go to one of those and see more options and attend some workshops.

Thank you Ellie, if I enrolled my kids w/ BJU I would use a private umbrella school to cover me with the legal aspects of hmscing. That could be a plus since they offer programs for kids, classes, field trips, attendance records, and grades.

I wanted an all around school so that I won't be overwhelmed with all the decision making for a newbie like me. I know I would tweak the program with some things that I have already purchased and probably add.

Letty's3Angels,

I think the Laurel Springs school looks wonderful. It would be too expensive for me, but I can see why you like it. I really like what I saw, briefly glancing at the lower grades.

Have you looked into K12 yet, via the CAVA? I'm using K12 via the WAVA, and I really love it. It's very academic, rigorous, lots of literature, and everything is together for you. After 4-5 years of floundering with curriculum, piecing together programs, and tweeking everything I got my hands on, I've decided to go with a boxed curriculum and the added accountability of the Virtual Academy.

I think you are wise to already know this about yourself, and go that route as a newbie. I was not that wise. I had to figure this out about myself by trial and error, and I feel I wasted alot of my time, my children's time, and money. BTW - the VA is state funded, and there is no cost out of pocket, it's paid for with your tax dollars that you have already contributed to the state. :D I love that part.

Piecing together curriculum is perfectly fine for those who can do it successfully, and the preferred way according to TWTM and many who frequent this board. But I don't think you should feel bad if you are uncomfortable with that. Personally, I don't think one way is superior over the other, especially when you choose an excellent program.

I hope you find your way with limited stress. ;)

Edited by JenniferB

Ewww...Kristen Stewart went there. Blech. Now I vote NO for sure! LOL

I agree with other posters who have suggested not jumping right in to a DL school your first year homeschooling. Take it slow and easy in those first years and find your groove. I started with Calvert school which is also academically rigorous. I was SO GLAD I never signed up to use their "school" and we could go at our own paces. However, even then, I ended up realizing that my kids just didn't fit into one grade. They weren't level across the board and my whole reason for homeschooling is so they can learn at their paces. Now, my older is doing 4th grade math, 3rd grade grammar, reading on a 7th or 8th grade level, etc. My younger is mid-way through 1st grade and he is 5.5 years old. Those All in one, curriculums are not for everyone and you really want to think long and hard before you put your kids "in the box" so to speak. Just my humble opinion.

We are here no matter what you decide! Best of luck to you!! :)

Thank you Jennifer' date='

I have not looked into K12 because since it's a gov't program I didn't think I't was very academic. I'm assuming that's it's similar to what they use in public schools.

I will have to look into it and maybe it's not what I think it is:confused:.

:001_smile:[/quote']

It's not what they use in any public schools, of which I know of. It's very different than the public schools in the history, especially. It's a chronological history starting in 1st grade with the ancients, and working toward modern history by 4th grade. Then 5th & 6th US History is studied very thoroughly using "The Story of US" by Joy Hakim (also used by Sonlight). 7th and 8th grades World History is studied, then highschool is very academic, but I'm not sure about the details, because we are quite a distance from highschool (my oldest is finishing 4th grade this year).

The language arts is the most impressive to me. It's SO thorough and rigorous. There's alot of writing and reading. I've used many different programs and K12 is the most rigorous by far than I have used. We work very hard to get all the assignments completed, and I can't imagine working any harder or doing any more work than we do now. (I don't want to scare you off from it, but just to assure you it is very rigorous).

The math is probably similar to public schools?? I'm not sure though. There are alot of word problems and logical thinking involved in the math. By next year they will have a new program, which I don't know much about, but it's supposed to be improved. I think it's fine as is, but improvement is fine too. :D

The science might be similar to public schools too?? It's advanced compared to what we have been doing in our homeschool (nature study and nature readers). There are experiments and some online games & graphic videos that help reinforce the lesson.

Added in an edit: Also, it's a misconception that all the lessons are done online. For grammar school the lessons are mostly in books, and just the record keeping is online. Some of the lessons are online, like Science, but they have books as well that go along with the online lessons. It's a bit hard to describe, but don't be mislead into thinking that there are no books - there are A LOT of books. Again, more info...If you wanted to use K12 independantly, that is also an option, in which you would not have to sign up for the VA (public school). It is expensive, though.

Please let me know if you have any questions about K12. I'm happy to inform anyone with whatever information I can share. Feel free to PM me too. :)

Edited by JenniferB

Two more thoughts about k12. First, it's solid and it's nice that it does things so differently than public school. The other thing is that most people did it independently for years and you could do it that way if you wanted. Then you wouldn't have the issues with the state.

We used the Texas virtual academy for 1.5 years after many moons of "doing it ourselves" (and I still think that is generally best in most situations, but not all). My son was in 7th and 8th grades.

I would be happy to share more if you're interested.

There are two reasons people are dissuading you from jumping into a boxed curriculum. First, most newbies think that is what they need and then they either feel frustrated with it or realize it was a waste of money. The other problem is that some people get SO dependent on such programs that they, like public school parents, refuse to consider better options because of fear. So those of us who have done this for YEARS try to save newbies some money, stress and such :)

But I absolutely think you MUST do what you feel is best, what gives you peace of mind. But keep researching. There are several months left and that amount of research will help you make a better choice for your kiddos :)