Menu

Saxon Math users...

Elizabeth TN

We just started homeschooling this semester and I am trying to figure out where to start my kids in the Saxon math curriculum. Right now I am giving them the tests and if they pass, then we move on to the next test. Will I be missing any skills if I do it this way? When I went back and looked at the lessons between the tests, it looked like I was missing some stuff. My plan was to start with the tests and once they started having trouble on the tests, go back and start with those lessons. Will this work? Thanks!

We just started homeschooling this semester and I am trying to figure out where to start my kids in the Saxon math curriculum. Right now I am giving them the tests and if they pass, then we move on to the next test. Will I be missing any skills if I do it this way? When I went back and looked at the lessons between the tests, it looked like I was missing some stuff. My plan was to start with the tests and once they started having trouble on the tests, go back and start with those lessons. Will this work? Thanks!

If you miss a skill using this method, it will come up again :) (I'm speaking of levels 3 & under). The placement tests tell you what level to order, but they are not helpful in weeding through all of the review that is built in. I wouldn't use this method with 5/4, though, because I haven't noticed as much review built in as the lower levels. I might feel differently once we move on to 6/5, though. We've used Saxon since the beginning, and I now have 1 almost through 5/4, 1 in 3, & 1 in 1.

The tests cover material up to five lessons before. So the test after lesson 20 would cover material up to lesson 15. So once you find a test they have trouble with, you'll want to back up at least 5, maybe 10 lessons and begin there.

Good luck on your homeschool journey!

It sounds like you already determined what grade to use with your dc. The Saxon Placement Test is only necessary if you don't know what grade/level of instruction they need. Testing up during a middle of the year start works well.

There is daily review in Saxon. This helps home teaching parents not worry much over missing concepts and learning gaps.

Enjoy your first year~

Saxon is a program that builds daily in increments. I would suggest finding the level they need through the placement tests and then start at the beginning of the book even if it seems like review. When you start Saxon in the middle of a book it is easy to miss a concept or wording. Others may disagree, but it is my opinion for what it is worth.

We used Singapore for K-3, then Ray's Arithmetic for 4th, but I just felt like these weren't rigorous or thorough enough, and I needed a math curriculum that went all the way through the higher maths, so we switched to Saxon with dd in 6/5, and ds in 3.

6/5 has some review, but not as much as Saxon 3 does. Level 3 actually has too much review for ds, so I often allow him to skip review problems once I'm certain he has mastered them. In 6/5, it has uncovered some gaps in dd's math skills, but they were easily explained, and she has virtually soared through this book, and there are no more tears about math. Hoorah!