Menu

My best friend from my high school years is getting divorced.

I think the hardest thing for me was having those people that listened, then proceeded to say I told you so, or they reminded me of how stupid my choice of a husband was. I already knew it and even if I agreed, it wasnt what I needed to hear at the time.

I am sorry you had to experience that during what must have been a very difficult time in your life.

I am glad, however, that you felt comfortable sharing it here. I will be sure to avoid any negative comments when I visit with her.

Thank you, Tbog.

Are you living near her?

If so, can you help with things like house cleaning or cooking? Can you take the kids somewhere fun?

When a close friend's dh had an affair and then abandoned the family, she had a hard time doing basic things like cleaning. The kids needed a break from stress, so friends took them out to movies, or for an afternoon of play, etc.

It's hard, but listening and helping with basics are really the best thing you can do.

Stay friends. Don't assume she won't want to come along to events with couples. She needs to be able to decide whether she feels like an odd one out or not. Often still coupled friends make that decision for the divorced person.

Rosie

Good suggestion. When I was single, someone commented that I didn't seem to mind being the odd one out. I was devastated because I had never thought of it that way before.