Menu

OK, does anyone NOT like CLE's LA?

Melissa in CA

All I seem to find is glowing reports. :001_huh: Has anyone tried it and found that they didn't care for it? For example, though the samples look good, is there enough instruction for the child to fully understand and grasp the concepts? Is this a program that the child does independently or do you teach it, and if you teach it, what do you use? The TE doesn't seem to include any teaching that I could see. Just trying to figure it all out. :confused:

I love BJU and plan to stick with it, but I do like what I see of CLE. Plus, it's always good to know what else is out there...just in case. ;)

The teaching is all in the light units. If my child needs help, I read the lesson myself, and try to grasp the concepts. Mainly my older children do CLE independently.

My oldest dd is in 7th grade this year. The 700 level is where clauses and phrases are introduced and worked on fairly extensively. At first she was very confused by it all, but as we worked through it, she understood more. She still can't quite understand how to identify a complex and a compound-complex sentence.

I found CLE because a real life friend was using it with her children. I looked it over, and it looked like it would work for us as I was worn out with R&S. We have used it for three years now. I have had children in level 200, 300, 500, 600, 700, and 800. Next year will be the first year I will have anyone work through the 400 level.

Of all of them I have least liked the 200 level. I didn't want all the syllable rules, phonics markings, how to grade a light unit, etc. I just wanted grammar (and penmanship). Fortunately, I know that the 300 level drops all of that, so we used the 200 level knowing that it would only be a year.

I would say that you are still the teacher. No curriculum can anticipate the needs of your child at any given point in the year. If you get to a sticky point, you can stop and work through it. CLE also has those extra practice books that I have used for my students who struggle a bit with language arts. I also use the TM for the alternate tests. There is no real teacher instruction in the TM. As I mentioned at the outset, all the teaching is directly in the lightunits. Oh, I should also mention that the last lesson of each lightunit is a self-check. If the student can do well on that then they will do well on the lightunit test. My children always say that the self-check is more difficult than the actual test.

I hope that helps.

Jennie

Edited by mamaof2andtwins

We did CLE reading Grade 7. The reader is terrific - very good collection of stories, essays, and poems. I think it was the workbook approach that turned off my ds. I fully planned to do CLE reading for Grade 8 this year, but he rated it SO low on my home school survey that I am making a change. Know that they can be completed in one semester.

Guest aquiverfull
The teaching is all in the light units. If my child needs help, I read the lesson myself, and try to grasp the concepts. Mainly my older children do CLE independently.

My oldest dd is in 7th grade this year. The 700 level is where clauses and phrases are introduced and worked on fairly extensively. At first she was very confused by it all, but as we worked through it, she understood more. She still can't quite understand how to identify a complex and a compound-complex sentence.

There is no real teacher instruction in the TM. As I mentioned at the outset, all the teaching is directly in the lightunits. Oh, I should also mention that the last lesson of each lightunit is a self-check. If the student can do well on that then they will do well on the lightunit test. My children always say that the self-check is more difficult than the actual test.

I hope that helps.

Jennie

So if your children, couldn't grasp the concept and you had to help, there is no explanation on how to teach it in the teacher's manual? What would you do then, if you also couldn't understand the material? I ask because I'm considering CLE for next year but also looking into BJU. I know that BJU has a wonderful teacher's manual. I'm just concerned that I might not know how to teach certain grammar concepts to my child. It's been a while. :) Do you think the explanations in the LU are presented in a clear and easy to understand format. Are there good examples in the teaching part?

Also can you explain the self-check a little more? I'm trying to get an idea of what it is like. Thanks!! :)

The spelling was too easy, and the handwriting was different that we've used in the past. The grammar was good, but I couldn't justify continuing it for just that.

We do like CLE for reading and math. I've found the explanations there to be very clear, and I haven't needed the TE's.

It isn't so much that we didn't like it, but I will admit that it overwhelmed my DS when he was younger. The lessons are a bit long ( 4-6 pages each) and while that includes grammar, spelling/phonics, and penmanship - plus the instructions for each...all DS saw was a LONG lesson, and it made him want to cry.

He did much better when we bought separate work books for each subject.

It was still the same amount of work, but it looked like smaller 'bites' to him.

Now that he is older, we are actually switching back to CLE - (because it IS a great program.) ;-)

But I don't think someone who has been very happily using one curriculum is wise to jump to another. ;)

:lol: Yes, so true!

Actually, I was discussing CLE and BJU with another lady via pm today. I thought my question would spark some info for her in helping her make a decision. :D She is feeling torn between the two...and with good reason! In looking thoroughly at CLE's unit samples, I must admit they appear pretty darn good. I would be CRAZY to switch though, this I know. ;) Especially since I will have BJU's fabulous Mrs. Vick teaching English for me next year! My son has been p-a-t-i-e-n-t-ly waiting for the day when she would be one of his teachers. She'll be his Science teacher as well. The child's going to be in hog heaven. :w00t:

So if your children, couldn't grasp the concept and you had to help, there is no explanation on how to teach it in the teacher's manual? What would you do then, if you also couldn't understand the material? I ask because I'm considering CLE for next year but also looking into BJU. I know that BJU has a wonderful teacher's manual. I'm just concerned that I might not know how to teach certain grammar concepts to my child. It's been a while. :) Do you think the explanations in the LU are presented in a clear and easy to understand format. Are there good examples in the teaching part?

Also can you explain the self-check a little more? I'm trying to get an idea of what it is like. Thanks!! :)

From time to time my children get bogged down in the written instruction. Sometimes just reading the instructions aloud helps them understand the instruction.

Have you looked at the samples of the language arts program at the CLE website?

Langauge Arts

Click on "view details" for any grade you are interested in viewing. Then click on any lightunit number, and you will see a new page with a link to samples. If you look at the samples you will see the explanations that are given at the beginning of each lesson. I could not find any samples of self-checks.

The LA lightunits have 15 lessons. Two of those lesson days are quizzes, one is a self check and one is the lightunit test. On the quiz days there is a review check list that the student reads through to be sure they know what will be on the test. Theoretically, if the student sees an area that they have a problem they can ask for more help or clarification. Then they take the quiz.

In lesson 14, they student does the self-check which is a complete review of the concepts taught in the lightunit. This is a written exercise, and I always check them before the student can take the test. If there is an area of difficulty we can address it again before they take the test.

Lesson 15 is the light unit test.

I hope that was helpful.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need more clarification.

Jennie

Guest aquiverfull

Jennie, thank you so much for answering my questions. That is very helpful. I have checked the samples online. I looked over 5th grade which my dd would be going into. It looks like my dd could handle of all it, except possibly the diagramming. We've never done it before. I really like the looks of CLE.

:seeya:I'm the one Melissa is referring to. Thanks for asking this question Melissa!!! :) We spoke in a PM about the two programs. My dd has previously had BJU english 2 and 3. This year we tried Queen's which I find way too easy. No offense to anyone using it. I just realized that I don't want a Charlotte Mason approach to LAs.

Both BJU and CLE look like wonderful programs...hmmmmm decisions, decisions...:D

Edited by aquiverfull

I just want to piggy back off of what Cynthia wrote. In our case, we do not use every aspect of the language arts program just because it is all in one. The spelling just does not work for me or a couple of my children.

So, I just wanted to mention that even though it is AIO, you don't have to use it that way.

Jennie

Guest aquiverfull

I plan to use Writing Tales no matter what I go with, so there are aspects of both BJU and CLE that I wouldn't use. We use something different for spelling also. That doesn't really help me make a decision..lol.

My dh loves the CLE math, so perhaps if we use the math it would make sense to use the LAs too.