Menu

So, Plaid Dad...

Mamagistra

Any plans in the works for the perfect German curriculum? My oldest dd asked about German over dinner this evening, and I nearly dropped my fork. French, Latin...even Greek I can handle. German scares me! :eek:

What with those 25-letter words and such, I'm sure there'd be lots of takers for Plaid Deutsch. :)

I call German the "Lego language," because it's just little blocks stuck together to make Mondo Big Words. The base vocabulary is quite small, really. The articles and pronouns are much more confusing: there are 16 ways to say "the." ;) German is more difficult to learn than the Romance languages - I remember a study that showed that it took twice as many classroom hours for students of German to achieve the same level of fluency as students of French or Spanish. But it is no harder than Latin or Greek.

That said, I don't have any plans to write a German curriculum. Although I still tutor German a bit, my interests have gone in other directions, and I don't see myself getting jazzed enough to write a whole language program for it. Sorry!

I call German the "Lego language," because it's just little blocks stuck together to make Mondo Big Words. The base vocabulary is quite small, really. The articles and pronouns are much more confusing: there are 16 ways to say "the." ;)

quote]

I stopped worrying about the 'der', 'die', 'das' thing when I realised my little German niece just uses 'die' for everything, even English words. I would love to have her with me all the time to teach me. She is so cute, fun and patient but my sister tells me off for learning from her...:p

DD developed confidence in spelling through learning some German. I pointed out to her that she could spell in German even though she was convinced that she could never learn to spell in English. She thought that that was great! She got very hopeful at that point. I think that she spelled first in German because it's so much more regular than English.