Menu

Your thoughts on Veritas Press History Explorers to 1815 Series

robbie

I'm looking for an America History Curriculum for a 3rd grade boy.

This has been our first year home-schooling, and we have been all over the

map...

I would like something that has a very simple schedule, but rich with nice spines. The Veritas Press History cards look pretty straight forward and simple. Can anyone share anything about Veritas Press History, or maybe their

favorite American History for a 3rd grade boy.

Blessings,

Robbie

We did this this year. It was short and to the point-you can extend it out as far as you want though. We added lapbooks and History Pockets and more books from the Sonlight catalog, etc. I used Abeka 4 as a spine because I don't like History of US and we though Child's Story of America was dry (those are two of the spines on the VP cards.) I actually liked the worksheets and so on in the TM-we've never done anything like that before, just done more literature based, but I found having her writing out the answers really helped retention! I was surprised because I had always thought that kind of thing was busywork before.

There is a Veritas Press Elementary yahoo group, if you want more specific info:

VP_Elementary@yahoogroups.com.

VP can be as much or little as you want. You can plan it out yourself using the cards, tm's, spine readings on the cards, and rich literature in the catalog OR you can get the Scholars plans and have it all done for you. Both ways are good. You can chat with people using the materials a variety of ways on the yahoo group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vp_elementary

I think the cards are great, and I really love Hakim's History of US. We had tried to do History of US on its own, and it's a great series, but just *way* too much information to try to cover in a year with elementary-aged students. The VP cards told us the "can't miss" chapters for this time through, and freed me from some of my guilt that we just couldn't do it all. So we would read the Hakim chapters on the backs of the cards, and then add in some library books of dvds (as we could -- some cards are worth spending more time on, and others can be handled rather quickly).

I didn't use the TM very much, but can see how it would be useful.

The VP cards were a really wonderful organizing principle for our American history studies.

Yes, both ways have readers. If you get the Scholars lesson plans, everything is scheduled for you, and you can see the list of what they use at the VP website. If you do it yourself, then you would use the lists in the catalog which have numbers beside each book to show what card they correspond to. Also, people have put schedules and plans in the yahoo group files.