Menu

Has anyone had a sonohysterography (SHG)?

It PROBABLY won't be so bad. A lot depends on the structure of your uterus, if you have both tubes, etc. If you are normal, it probably will just be a slight bit uncomfy. I'm not normal (congenital defect and blocked tube) I'll spare you the ordeal I went through :)

Do you know if you're getting the kind with the balloon or the kind with the clamp and fitted catheter? Even with my issues, the HSG with the latter was tolerable. I assume both are tolerable for most people though.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Has your doctor prescribed painkillers for you to take before the procedure? My doctor told me to take whatever I would normally take for cramping but I didn't ever cramp so I took nada. I hesitate to share this but, for me, the pain was excruciating, worse than child birth and I've done natural with a 10 pound baby. I am thankful that DH was with me to drive because there is no way I could have driven home. When I moved to Germany, my German OB was SHOCKED that I was not given painkillers for the procedure, as that was standard there.

I'm guessing women have different experiences depending on how tightly closed the cervix is when the procedure is done. Mine was apparently on lockdown, making things more difficult. If I had it to do over again and my doctor didn't prescribe a serious painkiller, I would load up on Motrin and Tylenol a couple of hours before going in. Also, even though you might not end up needing the help, do be sure to have someone drive you.

I see that your procedure uses ultrasound so it might be somewhat easier on the patient. When I had mine done (7 years ago), it was an x-ray procedure, which involved me moving around a lot to get shots from different angles, all the while with the tube inserted, which just contributed more to the pain.

I so don't want to make you dread your appointment but I do want you to be prepared (with drugs if you can get them). I read your question to DH and told him I didn't want to respond to scare you and he basically made me because he wishes someone had told me to load up on drugs before going in. I'll never forget when my German OB told me drugs were standard there for this procedure. It felt like I was validated, you know?

Oh, and if it matters, my test showed nothing unusual at all so it wasn't irregularities that caused the pain--maybe just the super closed cervix that made it hard to get in and then caused some serious cramping.

Good luck! I do hope the test can provide answers.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Is your test the water or dye one? The dye through the tubes was not fun for me either time but the water one was no problem - not even slight cramping. Definitely take a painkiller beforehand either way just in case. The good thing is that the test is quick and if your doctor is gentle it shouldn't be that bad.

My HSG (more common term than SHG) was uncomfortable. I do have a HIGH tolerance for pain. It was NOT fun...but I survived--and it did provide the Dr with very useful information (and I now have a beautiful dd because of it!).

I took 3 Advil 30 minutes before the test. I don't respond to most other pain killers--but this was enough to make the test bearable.

Try not to let the 'horror' stories stress you out--that will just make things worse. There are a few women who have little if any discomfort... you could be one of them!

Thanks for the information, ladies! I always like to know the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm having the one with the balloon and saline, with ultrasound- so no moving around during the procedure. The information flyer I have says to take 600-800 mg ibuprofen the night before AND an hour before the procedure. Sounds like I should take that advise.