Menu

WA moms--Kidnapping attempt in Pike Place Market--EECK!!!

That is disturbing. I hope the man does not get out any time soon.

We live in a "safe" suburb just north of Chicago and someone has attempted to abduct pre-teen boys walking home from school (even when they're with buddies) or standing at bus stops. For those around the Evanston -- Winnetka area, the man drives a white van with racks on the exterior.

Well, they are lowering the census of the psych hospital where I work, with a plan for another 120 beds to be cut soon. I've noticed more "people shouting to themselves" on the streets of Seattle than in the past. Others have noticed it as well.

Budget cuts, you see...

I agree with one of the comments on the story about kids needing to learn to yell 'You're not my mom/dad!' My kids were taught this method in TaeKwonDo. If nothing else, it will make people stop and look which could also thwart an attempt.

This is really sad, especially in light of the little 8 yr. old girl found dead in the news. :(

This is such a scary thing to have happen. Am I wrong in thinking this should be considered a kidnapping, not attempted kidnapping?

This predator removed the child from his parents, against their will, against his will, and out of their sight. They had to search for him to find him, though it was a short search thankfully. In my line of thought, he kidnapped the child and should be charged as such, which likely has a tougher penalty than attempted kidnapping. Is there a time guideline on what constitutes kidnapping as opposed to what constitutes attempted? If he had taken the child into a restroom and was caught there, would that change the charge?

I've never thought before about the difference but this issue just jumped out at me when reading the article. I'm curious what others may think too.

Yes, and on his way for his weekly psych visit at the VA. Highly functional mental patients do not have weekly visits. The mother blames a recent med change, but it might be there was a recent med change because the man was having worsening symptoms and they tried something different.

It is therefore questionable as to whether he will be "locked up for a long time". You just have to be alert.

Yes, and on his way for his weekly psych visit at the VA. Highly functional mental patients do not have weekly visits. The mother blames a recent med change, but it might be there was a recent med change because the man was having worsening symptoms and they tried something different.

It is therefore questionable as to whether he will be "locked up for a long time". You just have to be alert.

See, I feel this ties in to the recent post about an autistic child who was walking into the neighbor's house and watched a girl in the shower. One of the thoughts was that since he intended no real harm, his medical condition should excuse him from his behavior looking like a crime. So this man in the article may not have had any intention to harm the boy. For all we know, he might have thought the boy was lost and needed to be taken in like a lost puppy. So the fact that he's on psych meds should excuse his behavior because he didn't know what he was doing. I just find that highly inappropriate.

So the fact that he's on psych meds should excuse his behavior because he didn't know what he was doing. I just find that highly inappropriate.

No "excuse" has been given or intended. However, it is unlikely, given that he has been faithful in getting psychiatric follow-up (and assuming this is a first strike) that he will, as someone wished, be put away for a long time. He will be evaluated six ways to Sunday, but if he passes each eval and agrees to closer monitoring, I doubt he will be "put away for a long time". I am taking no sides, just giving an educated opinion, as I work in that state, with the mentally ill, including murderers and rapists.

I don't have time to look right now but I believe the name of the video is Stranger Danger. It is excellent! I have watched this several times with my two and gone over who are their 'safe people'. It goes through what to do if a stranger gets into your 'safe zone' while out in public, what do you do when mommy can't go to the door(like while in the bathroom) and someone comes. It is not fail proof but very good. The other day Mr T told me, "Mom, there were some people on the side walk and we practiced our 'Safe zone'.

It really give you a basis to talk about some of these things without necessarily scaring the child, also.