Menu

quality reading list for 6 yr old

My 6 year old is reading the Fairy Realm books by Rodda at one sitting, and is working through Nancy Drew books, in a few days.

Can somebody point me to some well written literature for little ones.

She zooms though Tree House and A2Z mysteries. They have qualities that I like, but I'm wondering about some really well-written books.

Any sources of lists?

Suggestions?

TIA

Christine in AL

My DD6 is reading at about the same level as yours. I compiled a list from many sources (the lists of some users here, some curriculum publishers' lists, Sonlight's lists, lists from various Web sites, etc.) to include in our book jar. They range up to...probably the third-grade level, but some we read aloud, and some she reads by herself. Of course, it's by no means comprehensive, but it might give you a place to start.

http://theunlikelyschoolhouse.blogspot.com/2008/08/book-jar-list.html

HTH!

ETA: Here's another good link:

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/v2/index.php?page=441

And DD6 has been enjoying a series of books called The Fairy Chronicles--beautifully illustrated, great themes, great lessons, and there's even one about a HSed girl!

Edited by melissel

I would think that if she's flying through Nancy Drew (at least, the older ones) she may do well with ANYTHING from Alcott. "Little Women" is actually first of a series, but she wrote a bunch of other things. Another good option would be the Ann of Green Gables or Little House series. If you can find them, the Trixie Belden mysteries are really good too.

Melissal-Love your list of books plus the "Pick a book Jar." Thanks for posting!

You're all very welcome! I'm glad it could help someone. The Book Jar has a been a HUGE hit here--it really adds an extra level of fun to the process. Even DD3 gets excited when it's time to pick a new book :D

I read almost all the Nancy Drew books as a child, but when I read one as an adult I found they're not as well-written as I thought (still great to read for fun mysteries, though.)

Betsy-Tacy

The Little House books are great, and the first one, Little House in the Big Woods is the easiest to read; they get harder as Laura et al get older.

The Cobblestreet Cousins by Cynthia Rylant

I'm sure there are more, but the timer is ringing and I need to log off. My younger dd read these around the age of 6-7 (she hated reading until she was 6.5, and then shot off like a rocket.)