Menu

Want to help me decide on our 7th grade science??

I had originally decided on BJU's Life Science. I have the classes on DVD and all the books. Then, yesterday, I received my Winter Promise catalog and saw their new science choices. I am especially intrigued by their Sizzle, Solve, & Survive kit for 7-9th grades. Here is the kit they use and what it includes: http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/products/ph/ph2.html

It looks like fun! I want science to be fun for my son before we jump into the difficult high school sciences. Yet, we have used BJU's 4th and 5th grade science and my son really enjoys BJU. He doesn't have time to complete the labs, but he loves watching the DVD teacher perform them and learns gobs. So I am torn. Truly torn. I don't know what is best for him. I know that I do want to use BJU's high school sciences and I know that if my son completes the Life Science that he will be WELL prepared for BJU's Biology. So here are my thoughts...

Option 1:

Forget I ever saw WP's new science.

7th BJU Life Science

8th BJU Earth & Space

9th BJU Physical Science

10th BJU Biology

11th BJU Chemistry

12th son will graduate in 11th and be attending community college.

or

Option 2:

7th WP's Sizzle, Solve, & Survive along with John Hudson Tiner's Exploring Physics book.

8th BJU Life Science

9th BJU Physical Science

10th BJU Biology

11th BJU Chemistry

12th cc

Option 2 would eliminate BJU's Earth & Space Science which I have heard is very good, and something I already own and have on DVDs. In fact I own all the BJU Science classes on DVD, so to use the WP kit would cost money I would not have to spend if I stayed my original course. That is besides the point though and is really not a deciding issue for me.

So, if you were me, and money wasn't a factor in your decision...what option would YOU choose and why? I need CLARITY! :lol:

I am especially intrigued by their Sizzle, Solve, & Survive kit for 7-9th grades. Here is the kit they use and what it includes: http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/products/ph/ph2.html

I can't help you decide. In fact, that kit looks so great that now I have some decisions to make!

I hope you figure it out.

Lori

Note: Based on your signature, whatever you've used for science in the past seems to have been good for your older children, based on their current situations.

Don't screw yourself up. Buy the WP stuff, or even just select kits it uses, and do them this SUMMER. Then get back on track doing the BJU science in the fall. If you don't, you'll kick yourself. (A, you could look back and realize you didn't cover as much as well as the BJU would have, and B, you might find, as many people have, that WP is great about selecting stuff but doesn't necessarily have the most common sense about how they put it together, not having used the things themselves. A schedule of a lot of material does not a curriculum make.) Have you even tried a Thames & Kosmos kit? They're only ok. Maybe my dd was a bit young at the time? Sure, get them, and enjoy them this summer. Then go back to your BJU. :)

Buy the WP stuff, or even just select kits it uses, and do them this SUMMER.

:iagree:

This does look fun. I think I may have to have my dh speak to dss honorary uncle who is retired, never had any kids, and built a totally "green" house from top to bottom about this. Yep, he definitely needs to spend more time w/ his "nephews".

Don't screw yourself up. Buy the WP stuff, or even just select kits it uses, and do them this SUMMER. Then get back on track doing the BJU science in the fall. If you don't, you'll kick yourself. (A, you could look back and realize you didn't cover as much as well as the BJU would have, and B, you might find, as many people have, that WP is great about selecting stuff but doesn't necessarily have the most common sense about how they put it together, not having used the things themselves. A schedule of a lot of material does not a curriculum make.) Have you even tried a Thames & Kosmos kit? They're only ok. Maybe my dd was a bit young at the time? Sure, get them, and enjoy them this summer. Then go back to your BJU. :)

I just love your posts! You are so no-nonsense and practical. You often help me realize that I overthink things far too much. I appreciate your wisdom on these boards!

Oh Cynthia, you're hilarious! Maybe you could offer *me* some practical, no minced words, kind of advice? Hmm, Shurley 6 or 7 for next year? BJU Reading 6 over the summer or skip and go directly to Lit 7? And would I be happy if I ditched VP/WP/SL (the ecclectic mix that I hate implementing but dd adores) and went to BJU history? See, I overthink things a lot. :)

I just love your posts! You are so no-nonsense and practical. You often help me realize that I overthink things far too much. I appreciate your wisdom on these boards!

:iagree:

After reading OhElizabeth I often think, "Hmm...now why didn't I think of that myself...it makes perfect sense!" :w00t:

I really like the Power House, I think it looks wonderful and fun...but will I like it for my sons main Science next year...or would it be better as a fun summer project? A Fun summer project, definitely. I KNOW without a doubt that BJU is a fantastic science. I do NOT know that this Power House will be fantastic. I don't want to regret not using BJU, when I know it is excellent. ;)

Thanks Elizabeth! You help me step back and get that clarity of mind that I am in need of. In fact, I realized earlier that my son is pretty much finished with his SL Science 5 for this year. There is absolutely no reason I could not get the Power House now and use it for his remaining weeks of school. I found it much cheaper than WP sells it for, so I think I will go that route. Buy it, along with Exploring Physics by Tiner and begin both as soon as they arrive. :D [ETA They will arrive this Friday! My son is on Spring Break this week, so starting Monday we will give the Power House and John Hudson Tiner a whirl.]

Yep, I am getting my cake...and eating it too! :w00t:

Edited by Melissa in CA

Oh cool! Well maybe you've solved my problem too? Maybe I'll order the workbook for reading 6 pronto, let her move up (she's bored stiff in the reading 5), and that way she'll have a jump and be done by fall to go into lit 7). Ugh, that means I need to do a rainbow order. After 5 years, you'd think this would be fun, and instead it's only more work!

Just wanted to post for those interested in the Thames & Kosmos Power House. It came today and it looks fantastic! TONS of cool experiments, detailed instructions, and a story that goes with it with journal entries. Of course I cannot say anything about the experiments yet as we haven't done any of them, but they look great. I can see how this could be a year long science course if you only did science 2x a week or so. Or a great semester course. It is definitely geared toward 12 years and up...my son JUST turned 12 so some of this he will probably need help with. A very sciency kid would do fine with it though.

Anyhow, just wanted to share that I bought this one for $118.99: http://www.amazon.com/Thames-Kosmos-626112-Power-House/dp/B00006YYUO/ref=pd_sim_t_4 The box is different from the WP one, but the item number was exactly the same so I gave it a try to save the big bucks. The item that arrived today is the exact same box/item that appears in the WP catalog. The actual box looks nothing like this one shown on Amazon. Who knows how long this will be available at this price with free shipping, so if you want it, you might want to get it soon. ;)