Menu

WWYD- This car or that one?

We just purchased an older second car, a '96 Toyota Camry LE that runs like a dream. It's got the looks I love with exterior and interior in mint cond, leather seats, real wood dashboard, sunroof. Originally it was purchased for dh to drive on his 20 min commute to work so I could drive the newer car to lessen the chances of me breaking down on the road... not that the car's given us any reason to think that it would leave me stranded. Our other car is an '05 Toyota Camry that also runs like a dream, interior and exterior in mint cond but I've never had fond affections for it.

WWYD if you liked the look and feel of the older car but had unfounded fears of breaking down on the road? Would you drive the newer car or the older one? My dh doesn't care which way we go. He said "whatever you want". I don't know what I want.

Thanks..

For me it would depend on the ages of your kids. If you regularly drive young children (kids too young to walk a mile or more if you should break down), then I would stick with the newer car. But if your kids are older, and they could walk with you to get help, then drive the older car that you prefer. :001_smile:

We just purchased an older second car, a '96 Toyota Camry LE that runs like a dream. It's got the looks I love with exterior and interior in mint cond, leather seats, real wood dashboard, sunroof. Originally it was purchased for dh to drive on his 20 min commute to work so I could drive the newer car to lessen the chances of me breaking down on the road... not that the car's given us any reason to think that it would leave me stranded. Our other car is an '05 Toyota Camry that also runs like a dream, interior and exterior in mint cond but I've never had fond affections for it.

WWYD if you liked the look and feel of the older car but had unfounded fears of breaking down on the road? Would you drive the newer car or the older one? My dh doesn't care which way we go. He said "whatever you want". I don't know what I want.

Thanks..

;););)

I am the proud owner of a new car. For six years prior, I drove a 1988 Volkswagen, so for me, driving an older car wasn't a big concern.

Things I'd consider:

1. Do you have a cell phone? If so, calling for assistance is an option. We got cell phones only a little over a year ago, so yes, I did break down with kids and w/out cell phone access more than once, but...

2. What kind of city do you live in? Ours is small, not particularly dangerous, and finding trustworthy help is not all that difficult. Within moments of our first-ever breakdown, a friend saw us on the side of the road and stopped to offer help. Another time, I was able to flag down some bicyclists and borrow their cell phone to....

3. Call AAA. Having a roadside assistance plan pays for itself the very first time you use it. Might be worth considering should you decide to go with the older car.

4. Of primary concern, for me, would be which car has the better safety or fuel economy? If I was the one doing the bulk of the driving (w/ kids), I'd choose the car with the best safety and mileage ratings overall probably weighted toward safety. Aesthetics would come secondary.

HTH!

Thanks..

If they both have an airbag (and the '96 does) and it's been replaced at its 10 yr replacement date, then whichever is fine. A Camry will warn you in plenty of time before it's gonna stop on the side of the road. Those bad boys will run forEVer. It's a Toyota, for goodness' sake.

Drive the one you love.

This is what we do....we are in a very similar situation to you only with Volkswagens....guess what my dh's passion is :001_smile: We have a 1995 and a 2004. All the mileage is strategically placed on the 1995 car. The newer car is used as the 2nd vehicle and may only get driven 2 or 3 times a week. That way, we don't have 2 high mileage vehicles needing to be replaced at the same time. So, when our 1995 dies, we will replace it with probably a 2007 and then the 2004 becomes the old vehicle which my husband calls the "work horse". Now, my kids are teens, so I don't worry about children not being able to walk should we break down....and yes, I totally agree with having AAA membership. Don't know what I'd do without them.

I appreciate your comments, folks. Let me answer some questions.

I don't have small children. Both my girls are in college. Dd#1 has her own old junker, a '93 Honda Accord.

We all carry cell phones.

We don't have a roadside service at this time but dh is usually in town working 20 min from home at his office. He knows how to fix cars. He's usually out of town maybe 2 days a month. I don't know which roadside services are worth the money anymore. I would kind of like to have a service. Can anyone recommend one? Those of you with AAA, how much do you pay per month?

Both Camrys are reliable but you know how older cars can break down more easily. The good news is that it is a Toyota and is mechanically sound right now. It could use new struts (sp?). It hits hard on the bumps in the road. But otherwise it's in good mechanical cond.

Our city is small and there's only 1 neighborhood that I occasionally pass through where I'd rather not break down.

Safety and fuel economy is about the same with both Camrys. And both have air bags.

I think I covered all the questions. If I see more, I'll come back and answer them.

Edited by Anna

I'm still driving our 96 Toyota, which we bought new all those years ago. It has never broken down on us, not left us stranded even one time. Hubby drives a Chevrolet, relatively newer model, 01 I believe, and it has left him stranded three times. So age in and of itself isn't a good indicator of reliability. I'd go with the one you like better.

I would drive the old car if that was my dream. ;) We have a somewhat similar situation with Volvos. Our "good" Volvo is a '93. It's in great shape and very dependable. But I love the '86 and drive it as much as possible. (It never breaks down, either.) It just make me feel good. :001_smile:

Take care!

Suzanne