Menu

Wool area and throw rugs: do they always shed?

I saw some cute wool area rugs on super clearance for cheap, but am worried about shedding. Do all wool rugs shed?

A few years back I got a beautiful, obviously expensive wool area rug at a church rummage sale. It was a major score.

But it shed like crazy all over our socks and clothes whenever we walked or sat on it. Pieces of rug seemed to be floating about all the time.

I hauled it to the curb after a few months and some excited, unsuspecting soul snatched it up in about 10 minutes.

Am I being a sucker again? Should I run as fast as I can from the enticing wool rugs and go fo for nylon? Set me straight and give me a reality check!:001_smile:

We have lots of wool rugs (no shag) at our house. They all shed enough to fill up the vacuum every day for the first few months, but we didn't get floaties or anything on our socks. It's been about 3 years for most of them, and they still look beautiful and don't shed.

I have a beautiful wool area rug in our living room that I ordered a year or so ago from Plow & Hearth catalog. Wow, it sheds like crazy. Always covered with little balls of fluff, lint balls floating around the living room, getting on our clothes. Vacuuming it only helps for less than a day. It makes the living room look dirty.

All this time I've been really disappointed, thinking it's just a cheap rug (even though it wasn't cheap!). I didn't realize shedding is typical of wool rugs.

Now that I know this, I'd like to haul this rug to the curb, but DH would have fit! Guess I'll just keep picking up the balls of fluff every day....

MIchelle T

:crying: We have a beautiful 2 y/old super thick wool rug that still sheds like crazy. We vacuum at least weekly and it always looks lovely, but there is is always burgundy wool fluff on our socks, around the rug and in the hall. Since winter is officially over, I've finally rolled it up and tossed it down into the basement. Darn, I was hoping one of you would say it would eventually stop shedding.