Menu

Modest Swimsuit Patterns...need opinions/advice from sewers...

I have decided to sew some swimsuits for my daughters and myself this year. I found two sites:

Site #1: http://www.modestswimwearsolutions.com/swimsuitpictures.htm

Site #2: http://www.fashionablymodestpatterns.com/fmptestimonials.htm

The first site has the longer top that looks more like a mini-dress with shorts or leggings underneath. The second site has a top with skirted shorts.

Now, I like both patterns...but, I have a few questions / concerns and I'd like some feedback.

1. Do you really think the double layer of fabric from the pattern on Site #1 is enough support? Or, will I need to wear a bra or sew one in the suit?

2. I'm wondering if the longer top from the first site will be weighted down too much when wet. ?? In other words...will I (and my girls) be wringing the skirt out every time I get out of the water so it's not hanging down to my ankles? Ha!!

3. Each site gives a different tip about sewing with Lycra. One says to use lots of pins and go slowly without stretching the material. The second site says it is easy to sew as long as you stretch the material while sewing. Hmmm??? Smiles!

Any help for me? I know I'll be tweaking the suits for length, etc. ...but, I just need some opinions as to which is probably the "better" choice. I know...it's gonna turn out to be 50/50. Smiles!

Thanks!

~Holly

I have decided to sew some swimsuits for my daughters and myself this year. I found two sites:

Site #1: http://www.modestswimwearsolutions.com/swimsuitpictures.htm

Site #2: http://www.fashionablymodestpatterns.com/fmptestimonials.htm

The first site has the longer top that looks more like a mini-dress with shorts or leggings underneath. The second site has a top with skirted shorts.

Now, I like both patterns...but, I have a few questions / concerns and I'd like some feedback.

1. Do you really think the double layer of fabric from the pattern on Site #1 is enough support? Or, will I need to wear a bra or sew one in the suit?

2. I'm wondering if the longer top from the first site will be weighted down too much when wet. ?? In other words...will I (and my girls) be wringing the skirt out every time I get out of the water so it's not hanging down to my ankles? Ha!!

3. Each site gives a different tip about sewing with Lycra. One says to use lots of pins and go slowly without stretching the material. The second site says it is easy to sew as long as you stretch the material while sewing. Hmmm??? Smiles!

Any help for me? I know I'll be tweaking the suits for length, etc. ...but, I just need some opinions as to which is probably the "better" choice. I know...it's gonna turn out to be 50/50. Smiles!

Thanks!

~Holly

Hi Holly,

I have made tons of swimsuits for my girls and their friends over the years. Lycra is wonderfully forgiving fabric.

However, it does require a stretch stitch on your machine. Simple straight stitching just doens't work. A simple zigzag is better than a straight stitch if you have nothing else.

Yes, you do need to stretch the fabric a tad, and yes, I would suggest lots of pins until you get comfortable with the fabric.

Also be sure you use a sewing needle designed for knits. I really love using the tan colored elastic found in fabric stores. It looks like it is covered with a soft cotton..it is called swim wear elastic.

Question number 1. I think it depends on your bust size and what you are comfortable with. There are bra inserts available at swim stores, but as one of the website suggested, you could just wear a bra of your choice under the swim dress.

Question number 2. I would look for a lighter weight lycra when making the long skirt. But again, lycra is very forgiving and it will boucne back and dry quicklly.

That I MUST have a bra in my swimsuit. Not even a shelf-style bra gives me the support I need. I don't know the easiest way to do that, but I guess it would depend on how well developed the wearer is. If you went and looked at an online sizing place, like Lands End, you could probably find out if they suggest a full bra or if you can get by with shelf-style.

Also, my last swimsuit had a skirt that was shorter than the pictures. About finger-tip length. And it does stay a little drippy. Takes it longer to dry out and such. It's not really an issue, unless you're trying to get it dried out to sit some place. It's usually just easier to change.

I made the suits from the first site for my daughters last summer.

It was enough support for my young girls, but I would definitely have wanted more. I'm not that big, either.

The top half of the top is double layered, but the lower half is not, so it is not as heavy as you would think. Does that make sense?

Definitely DON'T stretch it while you sew or it will be all stretched out when you are done. Just use a zigzag stitch.

Also, my last swimsuit had a skirt that was shorter than the pictures. About finger-tip length. And it does stay a little drippy. Takes it longer to dry out and such. It's not really an issue, unless you're trying to get it dried out to sit some place. It's usually just easier to change.

My current swimsuit (store-bought) has a skirt that's about fingertip length too. It does need to be wrung out, or it'll drip for quite a while. But it doesn't stretch out.