Menu

IEW?

ChristyH

I know it seems like a lot but for a struggling writer it is so worth it. My son had a hard time finishing a paragraph and now writes very creative 3-5 page stories. Check Vegsource for it used. I can't say enough about how wonderful the program is. :tongue_smilie:

Many, many homeschoolers (and even homeschool groups and libraries) have the Teaching Writing with Structure and Style (TWSS) DVD course. The first thing I'd do would be to try to borrow it from someone locally. This course is meant for YOU, the teacher, but can be fun and informative for your older children to watch.

Just watch a disc at a time, and start teaching right away. You will just need to buy the Seminar Workbook for $24.00. It's here:

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/index.php?q=twss

I'd call IEW to order it, tell them you are a first-time customer, and ask for free shipping on the workbook - it's worth a try.

Yes, there is a learning curve, but just take it a bit at a time.

Blessings,

GardenMom

I know it seems like a lot but for a struggling writer it is so worth it. My son had a hard time finishing a paragraph and now writes very creative 3-5 page stories. Check Vegsource for it used. I can't say enough about how wonderful the program is. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

Christy,

How old are the children who will be using IEW?

Imitations in writing is very similar to the IEW program. This is far less expensive and would give you a chance to try out the general method to see if it is something that would work for you and your children. Like IEW, they sell theme books that would coordinate with lots of general studies or history studies.

I have all of the IEW materials and I have some of the Imitations in Writing materials. IEW is terrific, but honestly, Imitations in Writing seems a little less daunting and more straightforward to use. It might be a good place to start.

Take a look at the above link to their site.

I was given the SWI so I watched it to learn; I did not use it as a video to teach my son. Instead, he did the Medieval Theme book. I just cant rave enough about the program. My son detested writing and has flourished and become an excellent writer in one year. Love it!

Trisha

It is worth every penny. It is all the writing instruction you will ever need. There are tons of great theme books and add-ons if you want. If you divide the total cost over the number of years you'll use it, it is a small amount. I bought my TWSS 10 years ago, have used it every year, taught it to 10's of kids in co-ops, loaned it out and shown it to groups. I figure it cost me about $10 a year, and scores of children and adults have learned to write well with it. 100% money back guarantee. Just do it.

Part of it depends on what kind of writer you are. I have used the theme based this year and the learning curve on it was high, meaning it took a couple of weeks for me to get the gist of it. I have taught composition at an advanced level before. I have loved using it; I know have my students (I tutor) use these techniques in other papers they write. I have even seen them use the alliteration and 3ss in an answer to an essay question for a literature test.

Something that helped me out a lot is that I wrote an essay along with my students to help get the feel of it.

But it sounds like most other people really like the full program.

in Writing?

Thanks for any insight. We used SWI "C" very successfully for about 25 weeks last year - but the writing didn't really "stick" with the girls this year. Need to jump in again with the high schoolers and refresh the youngers as well.

Lisaj