Menu

I need a wall map of the world

I bought one for my parents 25th anniversary (they do tons of traveling) and had it laminated with a non glare laminate, and then framed. They have black map pins marking all the countries and states(all 50) where they have traveled. It is called the Rand McNally World Map--classic edition (there's also a U.S. only). It looks like a piece of art hanging in their living room. I like it so well I'm buying it for my home because we'll be using a map so much next year. It's only about $10 but since it's an odd size you'll have to do custom framing. Find a local arts and crafts store when they have 50% off custom framing.

Jennifer

We found ours at Fry's Electronics, oddly enough. I later ordered one of the markable maps from Sonlight, so Ariel can color the country we are reading about, since I was too lazy to cut out all the little circles for each story. :tongue_smilie:

We bought this one a couple of years ago. I love it! From farther away, you see land features (mountains, deserts, etc.), but when you're closer you can see the country boundaries & major cities.

http://store.maplink.com/map.aspx?pid=521778

I wanted something magnetic so I could easily put up pictures or landmarks. I needed something strong because I had the map laminated ($$, but worth it!) Magnetic paint wouldn't have been strong enough, so my most wonderful husband mounted a piece of sheet metal to the wall. Then we glued the map on top of the sheet metal. Now, I'd like to put a molding border around it so it'll look framed.

We're not going to get rid of it anytime soon, but I love, love, love it. In fact, this is the _only_ thing I would ever be willing to give up potential bookshelf wall space for!

yvonne

post-289-13535082838558_thumb.jpg

post-289-13535082838558_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

I bought one for my parents 25th anniversary (they do tons of traveling) and had it laminated with a non glare laminate, and then framed. They have black map pins marking all the countries and states(all 50) where they have traveled. It is called the Rand McNally World Map--classic edition (there's also a U.S. only). It looks like a piece of art hanging in their living room. I like it so well I'm buying it for my home because we'll be using a map so much next year. It's only about $10 but since it's an odd size you'll have to do custom framing. Find a local arts and crafts store when they have 50% off custom framing.

Jennifer

This is exactly what we are looking for. :D

I got mine at Mardels. It came with a US map too and together they were $5. We were doing world geography this year and LOVED having the huge map. Next year will be a US History year here and I like having the blow up of just the US too :001_smile:. We have a globe and an atlas and a computer for every person in the room but we love our big maps!