Menu

Reading Comprehension exercises?

Deana FL

It seems that I get a lot of public school parents asking me for help when their children struggle in school. Specifically reading comprehension.

I usually suggest the bookadventure website that encourages kids to read and earn points for comprehension quizzes or the bookit program.

I've also suggested audio books, thinking that if kids can practice the art of visualizing a story this might help them when reading a book.

I'm wondering if there are exercises or activities that the Hive could suggest..?

Thanks...

A recent 5th grader I taught was thought to have comprehension problems by her Mom and the school.

Actually, she was suffering from a phonics deficit and too many sight words.

The 5th grader was reading at grade level and didn't miss any words when reading aloud, but had a comprehension problem. When I gave her the MWIA, she read the phonetic list 62% slower than the holistic list. She's now reading above grade level after phonics remediation with Blend Phonics, Webster's Speller, and my online phonics lessons.

You can have them give the MWIA (use the MWIA II for students reading above the 2nd grade level on the National Right to Read Foundation test--the MWIA I is for younger children or older children reading at or below a 2nd grade level) to see if there is a problem. If the student misses more phonetic than holistic words or reads the phonetic portion more than 15% slower than the holistic portion, they need some remedial phonics work. The MWIA and some reading grade level tests are here:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

It only takes 5 or 10 minutes to give, and there are a lot of good free and inexpensive interventions if there is a problem with phonics. It's worth 5 or 10 minutes to make sure there isn't a subtle phonics problem.

If there is a problem, their reading speed with slow down at first while you're remediating with phonics, then it will speed up as decoding becomes more automated. However, even during the slow down, comprehension should increase.

Here’s a post by a teacher who remediates a lot of students, and why she believes there aren’t any students without other problems who are great decoders but poor comprehenders (and she offered money for anyone who could find one!):

http://kitchentablemath.blogspot.com/2008/12/palisadesk-on-great-decoders.html

Ruth Beechick's book You Can Teach Your Child Successfully.

Underlying problems with phonics or dyslexia can show up as comprehension problems.

I truly believe lots of time spent reading aloud and having fun discussing and enjoying quality books together (possibly with some narration added)will solve lots (not all) of reading comprehension problems.

Many times I am asked about issues with comprehension only to discover that the family spends zero time enjoying literature together and the child does not live in a reading household--meaning that the parents don't enjoy reading for pleasure and don't value reading as a continued part of their lives beyond schooling.

Sometimes a family can also get caught up in moving a child along to reading mainly for info in subject areas and forget to leave time for discussing and reading together.

I will never forget years ago my SIL asking me why nephew just doesn't want to read. Her home is devoid of books - - an absolute desert when it comes to reading material. She & her husband don't do much beyond glance at the newspaper and an occasional magazine.

You've gotten some good suggestions, but IMO there is no substitute for parents and family that truly values reading as an ongoing life skill and enjoys discussing literature and ideas together. Take a close look at the family in question before giving advice. If they seem like they will never become a reading family, then some of the incentive programs you mentioned are probably the best options. I wouldn't rule out checking into phonics difficulties and learning disabilities.

HTH

Shannon

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Elizabeth ~ what an insightful post...I looked over the links you provided and now have an angle at which to approach inquiring parents/friends whose children struggle. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Shannon ~ I totally agree with your opinion on having lots of books and literature available in the home. I am an avid reader and my children have reaped the benefits of that.

I used 100EL to teach all my kids to read which has given them a strong phonetic foundation. I tend to offer this suggestion to parents, but 100EL is not a remedial program.

I've also wondered if it's an attention problem. I remember being in school and not being able to focus because I was always concerned about what the other kids were doing.

Identifiying the issue is key!

~Thank you again!

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Elizabeth ~ what an insightful post...I looked over the links you provided and now have an angle at which to approach inquiring parents/friends whose children struggle. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Shannon ~ I totally agree with your opinion on having lots of books and literature available in the home. I am an avid reader and my children have reaped the benefits of that.

I used 100EL to teach all my kids to read which has given them a strong phonetic foundation. I tend to offer this suggestion to parents, but 100EL is not a remedial program.

I've also wondered if it's an attention problem. I remember being in school and not being able to focus because I was always concerned about what the other kids were doing.

Identifiying the issue is key!

Attention problems and reading problems do often go hand in hand. I read Dr. Hilde Mosse's "You Can Prevent and Correct Reading Problems" when my son was 2 or a young 3, the second half of the book was various reading problems combined with various attention problems and how to address them together. I don't recommend reading anything about attention problems with a 2 or 3 (or 4!) year old boy. Every other sentence, the first thought that popped into my head was "my son does that!" He's just a normal boy, and, in fact, he has always had a good attention span for his age. But, the signs and symptoms they describe for school age children are almost all normal 2 to 4 year old behavior.

The best remedial programs for older students and adults (besides my lessons and Webster's Speller) are "We All Can Read" by James Williams, "Back on the Right Track Reading Lessons" by Miscese Gagen, and "Prescription for Reading: Teach them Phonics" by Ernest Christman. (Also sometimes listed as "Rx for Reading.")

I am also an avid reader, that's why I started teaching remedial reading, I felt so bad for people who could not read well and wanted them to be able to have a chance to enjoy books.