Menu

Using calculators on standardized tests?

Well, it's that time of year, and my older kids (4th grade ds and 3rd grade dd) are taking the Stanford next week through our umbrella school. We've had them tested each year for our own information and to give them yearly test-taking practice. This morning I received a call from my son's proctor, and she informed me that the fourth graders are allowed to bring calculators! :glare: And apparently, in later years, they are provided with papers giving them proofs and formulas. This, I'm told, is a Stanford testing procedure, not something decided here on our local level.

So, my initial reaction is to not allow my son to bring a calculator. After all, I'm testing him for my own information, so that I know where he is, individually. But, if other children have access to calculators, won't information such as stanine scores and percentiles be distorted? Should I worry about this? What about down the road when these tests really mean something, and I don't want him put at a disadvantage? Anyone else deal with this?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Shannon

If calculators are allowed on Math tests then the test is NOT testing for knowledge of basic facts (that would be assumed)--instead they would be testing for conceptual applications (the ability to read a problem and decide on what process to use to come to an answer).

Back in the 'old' days (when we parents walked with the dinosaurs) those tests had problem after problem of basic fact operations. Now the emphasis has switched to problem solving... apparently too many students could 'do' the operations--but not so many could actually USE those operations to solve problems.

Personally I'd like to see a balance--for elementary maths--no calculator but word problems where the mastery of basic facts is proven.

I'm participating in the Stanford test tomorrow and our organizer told us that calculators were NOT allowed.

I have the Checklist and Guidelines for Testing from BJU Press and it says that calculators are optional for math problem solving, but they are not allowed for Math Procedures.

Thanks Jann and Michelle for your input!

How strange, Michelle, that we've gotten conflicting information! I've been really perplexed about what to do. However, Jann, your thoughts are making me feel more reassured. Hopefully, the calculators are only for specific portions of the test.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

I'd let him use a calculator. I'm guessing that they are looking for problem solving rather than knowing the facts.

We use a computerized test through our virtual academy. Some questions allow calculators and some don't. On our test, the questions that allow calculator use has an on-screen calculator pop up.

There are two math sections on Stanford. The portion that allows calculators doesn't really require the use of them. In other words, you don't get the great books figuring out those problems that you might finding the answer to a calculation problem like 34.57 X 7.21 = . The test section with lots of calculations doesn't allow calculators.

In addition, giving a calculator to a kid at test time without having them get used to them in the months leading up to testing is a recipe for having them focus on the equipment rather than the test.

So I might suggest skipping the calculator unless your kid uses it a lot (and uses the one that he'll take into the test). Otherwise, don't bother on this test and introduce more calculator use in the upcoming year. As the years go on, there will be more advantage to having a calculator (for example, finding the area of a circle, where you have to also know the formula and a value for pi). Then, there would be a possible consequence in comparing a non-calculator using student against a larger body that used them.