Menu

Handwriting dilemma, any suggestions?

Damselfly

My ds5 will be 'officially' starting Kindergarten in the fall. I am having trouble deciding on a handwriting program suitable to his needs and would love any suggestions you may have. Here's a little background-- he has fairly decent printing abilities already although he doesn't form his letters the correct way (for example, he starts some of his letters at the bottom instead of the top; he makes his circles clockwise instead of counterclockwise).

But.... my biggest concern is that he prints very small and does NOT seem to understand the big, double-wide lines used for learning to print. Should I just start him off using regular, wide-ruled paper since he feels comfortable writing that way, or will I be neglecting some type of fine motor skills development by doing so??

Which handwriting program seems most suitable to this type of writing style? My first thought was "Handwriting Without Tears" because they use a unique type of line. In all seriousness, though, I haven't researched any of the popular programs yet and would love input from those of you who have been there, done that!!

Out of curiosity, have you had his eyes checked? It might sound silly, but my dd wrote really small until she got her first pair of glasses. The doc said that was fairly common in dc who need glasses.

We used Cursive First with the wide rule at first. I really love that program and it is very inexpensive.

he wouldn't need to understand the big double-wide lines. Children are taught to write between the lines of regular wide-ruled notebook paper. It will also teach him to write his letters correctly while learning the sounds at the same time (that's why it's the Writing Road to Reading).

My ds5 will be 'officially' starting Kindergarten in the fall. I am having trouble deciding on a handwriting program suitable to his needs and would love any suggestions you may have. Here's a little background-- he has fairly decent printing abilities already although he doesn't form his letters the correct way (for example, he starts some of his letters at the bottom instead of the top; he makes his circles clockwise instead of counterclockwise).

But.... my biggest concern is that he prints very small and does NOT seem to understand the big, double-wide lines used for learning to print. Should I just start him off using regular, wide-ruled paper since he feels comfortable writing that way, or will I be neglecting some type of fine motor skills development by doing so??

Which handwriting program seems most suitable to this type of writing style? My first thought was "Handwriting Without Tears" because they use a unique type of line. In all seriousness, though, I haven't researched any of the popular programs yet and would love input from those of you who have been there, done that!!