Menu

Runners - A slow, soggy 5K this morning!

I got back from Disney to find out that our church was helping to sponsor a 5K honoring those from Georgia who have died in action. The race was this morning at a nearby neighborhood.

It's been raining here in the Atlanta area for the last 2 days, with today calling for storms and another 1-2 inches of rain. I was hoping the rain would hold off long enough for the race, but that didn't happen! When I woke at 6, it was already raining steadily!

The race got started late, and they sent the 10K and the 5K out at the same time, so I ran a little faster than I anticipated... until I got to the first hill. A DOWN hill that was so steep, I was afraid I was going to slip and fall. And it was like that the whole time, steep down... then steep back up!

Somewhere in the 3rd mile, I was thinking I was going to throw up! LOL I felt really discouraged. I was soaking wet... through 3 layers. I finally made it to the finish line, and my time was 35:56. Very depressing. Even longer than my first 5K back in December!

I grabbed a banana, even though I don't like them, and that helped with the nausea. My legs are already VERY sore... and the race only ended 2 hours ago.

A few things I learned today:

1. I need some sort of waterproof lightweight jacket. Any suggestions?

2. I need capris or a running skirt... my pants just picked up the water from the road. I had to wring them out before I could drive home!

3. I do NOT like nasty hills. They are bad and make me slow.

4. I am strong enough to run in horrible conditions and finish, albeit very slowly.

I think I'm going to take a nap this afternoon! ;)

I was hoping the rain would hold off long enough for the race, but that didn't happen! When I woke at 6, it was already raining steadily!

If I do end up running the half-marathon tomorrow, I'll be looking at the same weather!

I was soaking wet... through 3 layers.

I know that feeling. But I don't have a strong aversion to running in rain. It's hard to go out in it and start up, but once I'm soaked through, I feel kinda motivated. You move past the "Oooh, I might get wet!" phase and become a Tough Woman.:D

I finally made it to the finish line, and my time was 35:56. Very depressing. Even longer than my first 5K back in December!

Oh, bummer! I'm proud of you for running, but I know how disappointing it is when you're not happy with your time. When I ran this half-marathon two years ago (same one I may run tomorrow), I was absolutely floored by how much slower I ran than I'd expected. Like, a half hour slower. People kept saying, "At least you finished!" Uh, yes, of course I finished. I mean, good grief, I'm not going to just stop at the side of the road and hail a cab.:tongue_smilie: It took me a couple of months to actually feel good about having crossed the finish line and stop beating myself up over the time. And the more races I run, the more I have to accept the fact that each one isn't going to be a personal record.

I grabbed a banana, even though I don't like them, and that helped with the nausea.

I almost always get nauseated when I run races, and sometimes when I train, too. Like you, I'm not a banana fan, but I do find they're one of the only foods I can eat while running, or just after, that helps quell the nausea.

I need some sort of waterproof lightweight jacket. Any suggestions?

There is no such animal. Doesn't matter how waterproof it claims to be, if it's truly raining, you're going to get wet. Even the crew at my favorite local independent running store (http://www.fairhavenrunners.com) will say as much. Sure, if you're going to run a couple of miles in a light drizzle, a jacket like that will do its job. But serious rain + serious running = soaked-factor.

Anyway, keep on truckin', girlfriend. You're doing great!

Edited by Colleen

I hate races like that, but the satisfaction that you get from persevering when so many would just call it a day and stay in bed makes it worth it. In fact, I think you just gave me the motivation to go out for my run after all.

I'm glad it motivated you, Brigitte! :) Hope you have a good run!

Oh, bummer! I'm proud of you for running, but I know how disappointing it is when you're not happy with your time. When I ran this half-marathon two years ago (same one I may run tomorrow), I was absolutely floored by how much slower I ran than I'd expected. Like, a half hour slower. People kept saying, "At least you finished!" Uh, yes, of course I finished. I mean, good grief, I'm not going to just stop at the side of the road and hail a cab.:tongue_smilie: It took me a couple of months to actually feel good about having crossed the finish line and stop beating myself up over the time. And the more races I run, the more I have to accept the fact that each one isn't going to be a personal record.

There is no such animal. Doesn't matter how waterproof it claims to be, if it's truly raining, you're going to get wet. Even the crew at my favorite local independent running store (www.fairhavenrunners.com) will say as much. Sure, if you're going to run a couple of miles in a light drizzle, a jacket like that will do its job. But serious running + serious running = soaked-factor.

Anyway, keep on truckin', girlfriend. You're doing great!

It makes me feel better to know that you've been there, done that with the whole 'time' thing. I'm already getting the "but you finished" from folks. It's just sad to run so slow when I've been working so hard. And in the last couple of weeks, I've even run 3 miles in around 31:00, so 36:00 was like a slap in the face. It's weird though, because I'm not usually a competitive person by any stretch of the imagination... I'm not sure why this bothers me so much. I guess I know I'm capable of better. I'm choosing to blame it on the bad hills. ;)

Ok, so I don't need to worry about the rain jacket? I can learn to deal with that. I'm not an outdoorsy person by nature, either, so being outdoors and being soaking wet was a unique experience for me. Running is pushing me to new limits, not just physically! Running in the cold... the rain... soon it will be the heat and humidity - before 5 months ago, I'd never considered exercising anywhere but a gym or my living room!

Thanks for your encouragement, Colleen! I'm going to try to put this one behind me, and start setting my sights on my next 5K on Memorial Day!

I got back from Disney to find out that our church was helping to sponsor a 5K honoring those from Georgia who have died in action. The race was this morning at a nearby neighborhood.

It's been raining here in the Atlanta area for the last 2 days, with today calling for storms and another 1-2 inches of rain. I was hoping the rain would hold off long enough for the race, but that didn't happen! When I woke at 6, it was already raining steadily!

The race got started late, and they sent the 10K and the 5K out at the same time, so I ran a little faster than I anticipated... until I got to the first hill. A DOWN hill that was so steep, I was afraid I was going to slip and fall. And it was like that the whole time, steep down... then steep back up!

Somewhere in the 3rd mile, I was thinking I was going to throw up! LOL I felt really discouraged. I was soaking wet... through 3 layers. I finally made it to the finish line, and my time was 35:56. Very depressing. Even longer than my first 5K back in December!

I grabbed a banana, even though I don't like them, and that helped with the nausea. My legs are already VERY sore... and the race only ended 2 hours ago.

A few things I learned today:

1. I need some sort of waterproof lightweight jacket. Any suggestions?

2. I need capris or a running skirt... my pants just picked up the water from the road. I had to wring them out before I could drive home!

3. I do NOT like nasty hills. They are bad and make me slow.

4. I am strong enough to run in horrible conditions and finish, albeit very slowly.

I think I'm going to take a nap this afternoon! ;)

Good job for you for running! I hate hills and I really hate Atlanta's hills! My brother went to Tech and when we visited him for Thanksgiving, I had to run in Atlanta. I'm a flat running girl. Always have been, always will be. So you get a special GREAT job for racing on those hills!

You don't get to pick your time, usually. But especially in those conditions. Like Colleen said, you don't get to run a PR every time. I've run slow and I've run fast and you know, every time at least I've run.

I also agree with Colleen about the jacket. If it's a downpour, you won't stay dry anyway. Bring dry clothes if it's a race. Either go or don't go if it's training. After the recent runs in the rain, I've decided that if it's around or under 50 and raining, I'm not going unless the run is also under 5 miles. It was just miserable out there to be soaking wet and cold.

Now the capris or skirt - I would go with a skirt. :D I like the ones I've gotten at Target. I love the Nike one I found at Goodwill. The one from Road Runner Sports (.com) is ok. The ones dh got me from SkirtSports (.com), well it depends on the skirt. The "gymgirl" are the ones I really like. They fit around me above my belly button.

Yes you are strong! Great job for going out in the rain!

Good jobAfter the recent runs in the rain, I've decided that if it's around or under 50 and raining, I'm not going unless the run is also under 5 miles. It was just miserable out there to be soaking wet and cold.

Yeah, wet is one thing; COLD and wet is another. Which is why I'm so excited (not!) that it's 39 degrees and sleeting here. Lovely weather for a race tomorrow. Meh.

Good job for you for running! I hate hills and I really hate Atlanta's hills! My brother went to Tech and when we visited him for Thanksgiving, I had to run in Atlanta. I'm a flat running girl. Always have been, always will be. So you get a special GREAT job for racing on those hills!

You don't get to pick your time, usually. But especially in those conditions. Like Colleen said, you don't get to run a PR every time. I've run slow and I've run fast and you know, every time at least I've run.

I also agree with Colleen about the jacket. If it's a downpour, you won't stay dry anyway. Bring dry clothes if it's a race. Either go or don't go if it's training. After the recent runs in the rain, I've decided that if it's around or under 50 and raining, I'm not going unless the run is also under 5 miles. It was just miserable out there to be soaking wet and cold.

Now the capris or skirt - I would go with a skirt. :D I like the ones I've gotten at Target. I love the Nike one I found at Goodwill. The one from Road Runner Sports (.com) is ok. The ones dh got me from SkirtSports (.com), well it depends on the skirt. The "gymgirl" are the ones I really like. They fit around me above my belly button.

Yes you are strong! Great job for going out in the rain!

Thanks, Cheryl! I really need to hear over and over that it's OK to have a slower time now and then! What I need to do is find a 5K on a flat course! LOL

I was lucky this morning that it wasn't really cold, just very wet. I think it was probably close to 60. Because I'm cold natured, I wore long sleeves with a short sleeve over it, and my long pants. But many folks were in shorts and short sleeves. By the end of the race, since my clothes were soaked, they really weighed me down. Which is why I'm thinking I could do the skirt thing. I saw really cute ones at Target, and maybe I'll get one for myself for my birthday next week. Since it doesn't look like I'll be buying a jacket, maybe I can buy two!

Yeah, wet is one thing; COLD and wet is another. Which is why I'm so excited (not!) that it's 39 degrees and sleeting here. Lovely weather for a race tomorrow. Meh.

Colleen, that sounds miserable! And you've not been feeling well! I hope all goes well tomorrow!

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! Glad you made it through. I have a friend running in a marathon through downtown Atlanta tomorrow, I believe. Hope the rain stops for her....

I think that must be the ING marathon! Good news for her... the rain is all gone and it's supposed to be a nice morning for a marathon! :) Hope she has a great time!

Hey, it's been 39 here too lately! What a coincidence!

Wait...I'm guessing you're using hte F'ing scale and I'm definitely Celcified. :)

Well, let me make you feel less lonely. I am doing my first 5K on Sunday and I have not trained properly for it AT ALL. I ran 3 times this week and willrun again tomorrow and rest on Saturday. Today I ran 3.36 miles in about 40 minutes. I doubt I will do any better on Sunday...but that is ok....I am determined to do it. Doing it with a girlfriend who has 2 small children and hasn't been able to train like she should have either....We'll have fun though.

Good for you for just doing it!