Menu

We saw "Monsters vs. Aliens" today...

Really enjoyed it! We do see most of the kid movies that come out, but this was one I liked a lot. My dh agreed that this was one of the best animated kids movies we've seen in a while. Well written, I enjoyed the voice acting. The story was sort of an "I don't need a man to make me complete" girl power sort of thing... if you don't enjoy those then you won't like it. But we all (dh, ds5, ds7) gave it two thumbs up!

We saw the IMAX 3-D version (I think it's 3-D everywhere, right?). The 3-D was really neat--not too motion sickness inducing, which I tend to get in 3-D stuff. I had read an article about all the new technology they developed just for this film. Well worth it, I think.

We don't go to the theatre very often for cartoons - or any other movies for that matter - but this is one we are going to see. It looks cute like Monsters, Inc. (which we actually saw twice at the theatre because I loved it).

Dd is doing a points things. I just give her points here and there for things she does that impress me, like writing her middle name in cursive and spelling it right - and doing so on her own without my asking, or offering to take the baby, or doing the dishes without my asking.

So when she gets to 100 points she has a free day of no school whenever she wants to use it. BUT - if she is thrifty and saves her points.....at 150 she can get 2 days. (Trying to teach her how to save).

Anyway.......when she turns in her points for a free day - we're going to see this movie.

Unless she keeps holding those days and we're nearing the end of its run in the theatres......

It looks so good! DH is taking dd on a "date" tomorrow afternoon to a theater we have here that serves dinner while you watch a movie. She's been wanting to go to this theater so bad but there haven't been any appropriate movies there in a long time. We're going to try to have him take each kid out and do something special with him alone a couple of times a month. DS is easy, he'll tag along with Daddy for anything, but he has to get creative with dd! She won't just help him wash the cars and think it's quality "daddy-time"!

It's so hard for me to say. I would guess that sensitive kids might find it scary--aliens, explosions, etc. It's all in that gore-free cartoon way where the people get out of the cars before they explode. But they do shoot aliens with ray guns, have giant monsters rampaging through the city, etc. My boys are so not sensitive that I just have no way to judge--they love that stuff. I'd say comprable to "The Incredibles" in those terms. If that was OK, this would probably be OK.

Guest janainaz

I took my boys to see it yesterday and I really liked it. Monsters, Inc. is my all time favorite kids movie, I could watch over and over and never get tired of it. This one does not have the same charm, but it was still really cute. I think I expected more aliens and more monsters - it was definitely different than what I expected, but good.

We're going to go soon.

We love the part when they say, "He doesn't have a brain" and the blob thing thing says, "Turns out, you don't need one!"

The Wall Street Journal review mentions that quote as summing up the plot. :D Great graphics, dumb story. I'm paraphrasing of course.

We'll wait for the DVD.

Jo

I saw the PG rating and wondered, but our kids are about the same age so maybe it would be fine for mine. They saw the title and loved it!

ON this end, and it hasn't been mentioned yet-- my 13 yr old & his buddies saw it last night. He told me after it was a good, fun story but not for the 5 yr old. ??? I thought Shrek was cute but didn't like the innuendos, he said this was like that (hidden innuendos)....??? THoughts?