Menu

Planning a trip to Hershey,PA

Looking for a Hotel, 3 kids (10,9 & 6) and would love some Historical attractions we are studying early American History. Would love a great park/rides too! And a few places to eat would be great, we took a trip to Niagara Fall 2 years ago and I could not find anything but Pizza in Buffalo,NY...lol

Thanks!!!

Okay, well if money is no object than you have to stay at the Hotel Hershey. Beautiful but very expensive. The Spa at the Hotel Hershey is also a great place and if you have time try to get one of their Cocoa Spa treatments. A step down price wise would be the Hershey Lodge but still very nice. Both of these are owned by Hershey Entertainment and Resorts, the parent company of the Hershey Chocolate Company. There are lots of smaller, cheaper budget chains around Hershey which are very nice like Hiltons, Econo Lodges, places like that. If you want to stay in Hershey make sure you ask if they are IN Hershey. Definately plan a day for Hershey Park. Also, you should plan on visiting the Hershey Museum, the Hershey Gardens, Zoo America and Chocolate World. Allow 2 hours at each place at least. At Chocolate World take the Trolley Tour and see the 3-D movie. There is a nice food court at Chocolate World that isn't terribly expensive. As far as restaurants in Hershey Fennicii's is good for Italian, Houlihans is good, Mr. Sorrento's is casual but good pizza, The Soda Jerk is a casual diner in Hummelstown(about 5 minutes away ) that is good diner food for a good price. Any of the restaurants at the Hershey Hotel or the Hershey Lodge are good. Visit the Outlets at Hershey for good shopping.

About 15 minutes away is Harrisburg, the PA state Capitol. If you can visit the Capitol building--it is absolutely beautiful. Also in Harrisburg is the National Civil War museum. I have never been there but have heard very good things. Restaurants on 2nd Street in Harrisburg are good, especially Fisaga's and the ones surrounding it.

Lancaster is about 45 minutes away. Amish living, farms and good shopping at the Lancaster outlets. Gettysburg is about 1 1/2 hour away. Definately go if you have the time and see the battlefields.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I will try to think of some more good hotels.

Thanks!

We got a beautiful suite, from the pics anyways. It's a 2 bedroom suite with a loft bedroom ,2 bathrooms. We will stay for a week.

I am thrilled. We are starting SL core 3, and that will bring us to the Civil War. It will be perfect to have them have all these visuals before we get into the Civil War.

I wrote down all the places, to eat and visit you suggested, it you think of any other must sees let me know we leave on 19th of April:)

For a small-ish museum, the Hershey Museum in great! Check and see when their homeschool day is (I can't remember if it's in April or May), but they have great hands-on activities set up on that day. Zoo America is a great place to take a picnic lunch.

If you have the time, maybe take a side-trip to Gettysburg to add to your Civil War studies. It's about 45 minutes away, but well worth it. You can get an audio tour to listen to in your car or hire a tour guide to ride with you and adapt the tour to your interests. I'd highly recommend this if you can afford it.

:iagree:

I think Hershey is a wonderful place to stay and you've been given great advice on here. I would definitely go to Lancaster too. I love the Amish country and Lancaster is great. We had a fantastic time there. You can take a tour of the Amish country in the buggies and make sure you eat there! Yummy!We really enjoyed this restaurant: http://www.goodnplenty.com/. Lot's of good eats! :001_smile:

Have fun!

Bethany Blizard

Looking for a Hotel, 3 kids (10,9 & 6) and would love some Historical attractions we are studying early American History. Would love a great park/rides too! And a few places to eat would be great, we took a trip to Niagara Fall 2 years ago and I could not find anything but Pizza in Buffalo,NY...lol

Thanks!!!

Oh, Fay! Write me next time! We have some of the. best. food.

My dd and I went to Hershey & Lancaster on a Girl Scout trip 3 years ago. We saw a movie called "Jacob's Choice," toured the Amish house there (it is set up like museum, no one lives there) and took the buggy ride that was offered at that same site. Everything was wonderful. The movie was very informative (about Rumspringa), the tour guide of the house was friendly and answered every question we had (I even talked with him about using Rod & Staff!), and the buggy ride was fun. There were a few horses and they looked very healthy and were treated well. On the buggy ride, we went to an Amish woman's house that sold handmade crafty things (little bags with coloring books & slots for crayons, potholders sewn to dish towels.)

Here is the link:

http://www.amishexperience.com/theater.html

If you go to Gettyburg, seriously consider hiring your own tour guide. We did it twice there and once in Antietam. It was so worth the money! We spent 3 days in Gettysburg and my kids knew the battlefield so well -- they drew it out for people when the got home! We hired the first guide and she was so thorough and engaging with the kids that halfway thru I knew we wouldn't get thru all 3 days of the battle. I asked her if she could continue the next day (and pay her again, of course) but she had bus tours. So I told her to just continue on the pace and we'd tell the tour guide the next day where she left off. She kept us 3 hours, thru day 2. The next day, I told the tour guide we wanted to start with day 3 and he rolled with it (he had to be in his late 70s!) I was really impressed by both of them. 2 completely different people with different styles yet both wonderful.

One place we went near Gettysburg was Boyds Bears Country. We actually did not like it at all but I know some people do. We are not shoppers, so it really didn't appeal.

http://www.boydsbearcountry.com/

Have fun!

Also in Harrisburg, if you are looking for something hands-on and great for the kids, check out The Whitaker Center. In the same vicinity as the capital building.

For Central PA events, check out: www.spotobe.com

Hershey Park: May is homeschool month. But I just checked their schedule, and they won't open until May 1 for the season. Check out www.hersheypa.com for info on all the other great attractions.

Gettysburg has a new visitor center, which my parents were to, and enjoyed. Check out www.gettysburg.travel Also check out www.questforfreedom.com for more area history information.

Lancaster County: check out AmishNews.com.

A couple great parks in the Harrisburg/Hershey area:

Gelder Park, Gelder Drive, Hummelstown PA 17036

Possibility Place Playground (George Park), Heatherfield Way, Harrisburg, PA 17112

Enjoy your visit!!!

For a small-ish museum, the Hershey Museum in great! Check and see when their homeschool day is (I can't remember if it's in April or May), but they have great hands-on activities set up on that day. Zoo America is a great place to take a picnic lunch.

If you have the time, maybe take a side-trip to Gettysburg to add to your Civil War studies. It's about 45 minutes away, but well worth it. You can get an audio tour to listen to in your car or hire a tour guide to ride with you and adapt the tour to your interests. I'd highly recommend this if you can afford it.

Got the Zoo America tickets, and the tour guide is booked! Yippeeee

Thanks!

My dd and I went to Hershey & Lancaster on a Girl Scout trip 3 years ago. We saw a movie called "Jacob's Choice," toured the Amish house there (it is set up like museum, no one lives there) and took the buggy ride that was offered at that same site. Everything was wonderful.

That looks GREAT! It's on my list, wow so much more to do than I thought.

Also in Harrisburg, if you are looking for something hands-on and great for the kids, check out The Whitaker Center. In the same vicinity as the capital building.

For Central PA events, check out: www.spotobe.com

Hershey Park: May is homeschool month. But I just checked their schedule, and they won't open until May 1 for the season. Check out www.hersheypa.com for info on all the other great attractions.

Gettysburg has a new visitor center, which my parents were to, and enjoyed. Check out www.gettysburg.travel Also check out www.questforfreedom.com for more area history information.

Lancaster County: check out AmishNews.com.

A couple great parks in the Harrisburg/Hershey area:

Gelder Park, Gelder Drive, Hummelstown PA 17036

Possibility Place Playground (George Park), Heatherfield Way, Harrisburg, PA 17112

Enjoy your visit!!!

Thanks so much for all the links!

:iagree:

I think Hershey is a wonderful place to stay and you've been given great advice on here. I would definitely go to Lancaster too. I love the Amish country and Lancaster is great. We had a fantastic time there. You can take a tour of the Amish country in the buggies and make sure you eat there! Yummy!We really enjoyed this restaurant: http://www.goodnplenty.com/. Lot's of good eats! :001_smile:

Have fun!

Bethany Blizard

Yummy, were are going to eat there.