Menu

4-H for high schoolers....

We may have the opportunity for our family to participate in 4-H next year.

We have been very active in scouting but never 4-H.

Can anyone tell me how 4-H works? Do you get to pick what topics you will work on AND how long do you normally work on each one?

Also, could you tell me about your experiences (Good or bad) with 4-H....

Next year I will have a 11th, 9th, 5th, and 1st.

Thanks in advance,

Brenda:001_smile:

My dd (16 yo) has been involved in 4-H ... I think this is her 6th year. It has been a very good experience for her. The project that she has done every year is sewing. A lot of 4-Hers show animals.

I like that the kids have deadlines to meet. The projects will be judged, and in our county, the judge talks with the kids one-on-one while they judge their project. That gives the kids an opportunity to talk about their project, and hear constructive criticism.

Anyway, it's been a good experience for my dd.

jak

We love 4-H! My son has been involved since 6th grade and my only regret was that we did not get involved earlier.

4-H offers a great deal of flexibility. Kids and their clubs can choose their focus. Participation is what ultimately matters.

My son has participated in and now teaches electronic workshops for 4-H. As a club, we did robotics and rocketry. As an individual, my son has given presentations on how to tie a fly for fly fishing and how to solder. He writes project book records annually and has won cash at the district and state level for these. The teens in our area have monthly meetings, but get together more often for things like ski trips, fundraisers and community service projects.

In 4-H, kids learn by doing. I have been teaching a baking class annually. My son learned to sew. We know kids who garden, raise turkeys, make costumes for the Renaissance Fair, etc., all with guidance from people in the Extension office.

Even after my son grows out of the program, I think I'll continue to volunteer. Truly, we love 4-H!

Jane

I learned all of my leadership and public speaking skills in 4-H. I was in the program for 13 years! I'm sure that it has changed a lot since I was there, but the basics are still the same. You choose what projects you want to work on each year. There are some local clubs that specialize in specific types of projects. You will receive guidelines of what is expected for each project and how it will be judged. There is even an opportunity for you to make up your own project plan.

As much as I love the program, I don't have my dd in it because we simply don't have room to add anything else.

And I also participated in 4-H as a teen....

Our experience has been just great. I suggest that you contact your local county extension agent (should be in the phone book under county listings) to see what your county's deadlines are as far as enrolling. My experience has been that they vary from state to state.

This is how it works in our county:

The extension office provides a list of active clubs in the county. You pick a club based on the following: Meeting times (so you can fit the monthly meetings into your schedule), your dc's friends (which club are they in?), or areas of interest (some clubs are more into livestock projects, some into wood-working, leathercraft, rocketry, etc.).

You submit an enrollment form and start attending meetings. The 4-H year usually starts around October. There is usually a "new member" packet that explains opportunities, expectations, etc. for each club.

Our club has its own set of by-laws that outlines expectations for attendance and the like. Some clubs are much more laid back about that sort of thing.

We chose our club based on the fact that it's full of homeschoolers, so we are like-minded in many things. Our club also had leaders in things that my dc were interested in. Not all clubs have leaders in all areas. Some leaders are county-wide so they're available to any 4-H member. Other leaders prefer to only lead the members of "their" club.

The highlight of the year for my dc is county fair, where they get to display their projects from the year, and earn ribbons and cash awards. They also get to sell their market animals at the Junior Livestock Sale at the end of the fair. I've even incorporated county fair projects into our homeschool curriculum. For example, my dc have to complete 1 art project each quarter that is "county fair quality". That way their work is judged by someone other than "Mom". I think it's fair to say that you can have your dc spend as much time on 4-H as is convenient for your family. Some years we're more "into" it than other years, depending on what else is going on with life.

For example, my oldest dd is really into the archery project this year, and wants to make her own leather quiver for her arrows. I don't know how to teach her to do leatherwork (even though she has done some in previous years), and our schedule just wouldn't accomodate one. more. project. this year. So, she'll have to either figure it out on her own, or wait until next year, and set something up with the county leader. It's a good lesson in how to plan her schedule, and also in making choices about what she really wants to accomplish.

I ramble too much. Hope something in there is helpful.

jackie

Our club ususally has community service projects and fundraisers during the year. I'm sure you're used to that from scouts.

Brenda, this is our first year to NOT be in 4H since my oldest was in 1st grade.

4H for high schoolers in Tennessee is just incredible. At the state level you will find quite a few homeschool kids and your kids will have friends from all over the state. My oldest son was the most active in 4H, in fact he was the State Council President during his senior year. He is still friends with 4H'ers from across Tennessee.

Yes, jump in. We plan to jump back in this fall, we just had to take a little breather and concentrate on some other stuff.

This is our first year & my son is 13. They have a variety of projects the children can participate in & you can do some (with their literature/guides) on your own if you choose. It seems to depend on your local leaders as to how well organized and active your chapter is. They encourage parental involvement; the more parents to help, the projects they can offer. I think it is a very good program & am glad we have gotten involved. Good luck & enjoy.

Brenda, this is our first year to NOT be in 4H since my oldest was in 1st grade.

4H for high schoolers in Tennessee is just incredible. At the state level you will find quite a few homeschool kids and your kids will have friends from all over the state. My oldest son was the most active in 4H, in fact he was the State Council President during his senior year. He is still friends with 4H'ers from across Tennessee.

Yes, jump in. We plan to jump back in this fall, we just had to take a little breather and concentrate on some other stuff.

Kelli -

Is it ever too late i.e. 10th grade to jump into TN 4-H? I think my youngest who is a 9th grader this year would benefit and enjoy this.

Thanks from fellow TNer-

Susie

We are also in Middle Tenn and actively involved in 4-H. I don't think it's ever too late to start 4-H. We have a homeschool club that has a wide variety of grades.

4-H is basically what you make it to be. Your children can just do the monthly activities or they can pick projects and work on those. We also have plenty of service opportunities.

My 9th grader was the Regional winner for public speaking and will be competing in the state contest this weekend!! So we are all very excited!

In Tenn we can't participate in the public school sytem's extracurricular or sports teams (not that we would if we could...) so 4-H provides my children with the opportunity to learn public speaking and other things they wouldn't ordinarily get to do.

We live in small town but not on a farm. There are plenty of projects that are not farm related. My oldest son is doing Consumer Education and Economics. So I encourage you just to check it out. It's free so you could check it out and just see what you think.

Kelli -

Is it ever too late i.e. 10th grade to jump into TN 4-H? I think my youngest who is a 9th grader this year would benefit and enjoy this.

Thanks from fellow TNer-

Susie

Susie,

I personally know a girl who joined 4H in 10th grade and before she graduated she had worked so hard that she made Honor Club, then All Stars, and then the highest designation we have; Vol State. She did this in 2 years, so yes, there is much to be gained even by joining in high school.

We are also in Middle Tenn and actively involved in 4-H. I don't think it's ever too late to start 4-H. We have a homeschool club that has a wide variety of grades.

4-H is basically what you make it to be. Your children can just do the monthly activities or they can pick projects and work on those. We also have plenty of service opportunities.

My 9th grader was the Regional winner for public speaking and will be competing in the state contest this weekend!! So we are all very excited!

In Tenn we can't participate in the public school sytem's extracurricular or sports teams (not that we would if we could...) so 4-H provides my children with the opportunity to learn public speaking and other things they wouldn't ordinarily get to do.

We live in small town but not on a farm. There are plenty of projects that are not farm related. My oldest son is doing Consumer Education and Economics. So I encourage you just to check it out. It's free so you could check it out and just see what you think.

:iagree:

We live nearly in a subdivision. Our projects have been electricity, food science, citizenship.. and a few others just done on the side. There is plenty to choose from whether you are rural or not.

My guy has been intensely involved in music/flute for several years and perhaps needs to back off that a bit so that he can experience a wider variety things in his life. 4H seems to involve variety. I believe there is a group that meets very close to me at the WM Co Ag Center. Will have to do some investigating. Are there summer activities or just school year?

Thank so much!

My guy has been intensely involved in music/flute for several years and perhaps needs to back off that a bit so that he can experience a wider variety things in his life. 4H seems to involve variety. I believe there is a group that meets very close to me at the WM Co Ag Center. Will have to do some investigating. Are there summer activities or just school year?

Thank so much!

My daughter is a flutist too! She stopped taking lessons at the last semester break. But she took lessons from 6th grade through half of 12th!

My daughter is a flutist too! She stopped taking lessons at the last semester break. But she took lessons from 6th grade through half of 12th!

I think I knew that - have we talked flute before? He just played at TN Rally Day with the Honors Band this week. But he is in the homeschool concert band, county youth orchestra, and private lessons and I see a bit of burn out with the competition extras. Believe he still loves the instrument and the playing so maybe a bit of other activity would be good for him ... thus questions about 4H.

Small world!

Here is link to a couple of posts I just recently made about 4-H. I think it has something to offer for every age kid. I am a leader in our county. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Just remember this, you get out of it what you put into it. And that is fine. Some families whole lives our wrapped up in 4-H. That is wonderful. Others only participate in a few events. That is great too. You DON'T have to give your all to 4-H to get a benefit from it. In addition, you need to be pro-active in 4-H and seek out the oportunities that are available. Some new people often say things like, "Well, no one told me about that and I missed the dead line." Be sure to READ your monthly newsletter. You will start getting one as soon as your registration card is in. And go to the websites. All the information is there. Have fun!

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89317&highlight=4-H&page=3

I think I knew that - have we talked flute before? He just played at TN Rally Day with the Honors Band this week. But he is in the homeschool concert band, county youth orchestra, and private lessons and I see a bit of burn out with the competition extras. Believe he still loves the instrument and the playing so maybe a bit of other activity would be good for him ... thus questions about 4H.

Small world!

Sarah was in the Rally Day band for two years. She loved it.

4-H is great. If you have the opportunity, go for it! It's too valuable to pass up. It's a great way to add some other than academics to your kids' lives; they can choose projects that interest them. Younger kids can do simple things while older children can challenge themselves.

Most areas have different contests besides the county fair, usually involving public speaking or project skills. There are also great opportunities for leadership on club, county, and state levels. I even competed at a national judging contest where my team placed first.

Keep in mind that while every state, county, and club are a little different, the heart of 4-H remains the same.

You submit an enrollment form and start attending meetings. The 4-H year usually starts around October. There is usually a "new member" packet that explains opportunities, expectations, etc. for each club.

Our club has its own set of by-laws that outlines expectations for attendance and the like. Some clubs are much more laid back about that sort of thing.

We chose our club based on the fact that it's full of homeschoolers, so we are like-minded in many things. Our club also had leaders in things that my dc were interested in.

The highlight of the year for my dc is county fair, where they get to display their projects from the year, and earn ribbons and cash awards. They also get to sell their market animals at the Junior Livestock Sale at the end of the fair. I've even incorporated county fair projects into our homeschool curriculum.

Our club ususally has community service projects and fundraisers during the year. I'm sure you're used to that from scouts.

Thanks Jackie for posting this! :)

I love what you've done! I have a question for you... we belong to a 4H club made up of HS'ers. However, we are hitting a "wall" so to speak as to our focus. We meet once a month and focus on a wide variety of items. Much of it doesn't fit the time allowed, unfortunately. May I ask how your club runs a monthly meeting?

Here is our club meeting:

1:30 Meeting Begins/Officers follow & run mtg/announcements/reports

2:00 Project time/Guest Speaker/Group Activity

3:00 Recreation Game & Snacks

3:30 Dismissal

We vary the project time, guest speakers, etc from time to time... not always offered. We've never done a formal 4H project from the official 4H curriculum. How is this done in your group?

Thanks in Advance,

Pat

--------------------------------

Former K-6 Schoolteacher (15+ years)

Mom to a wonderful DS (13.5 yr old)

and awesome Hubby (22 yrs of marriage)

HS'er for 5 years

We do Scouts and 4-H, but Scouts takes priority.

Yes, 4-H is VERY f-l-e-x-i-b-l-e. Almost too flexible! Our original club did almost nothing in the way of guidance. I had really grown to like the Scout checklists.

The 4-H curriculum has those checklists, but the curriculum isn't required. You can --literally-- do ANYTHING YOU WANT and turn it into a 4-H project. Even the judging isn't that....criteria-based. there is soooo much flexibility that i have found it difficult to ascertain exactly what it IS we're supposed to do "the right way" --and even long-time 4-Hers in our county have shared that our particular county doesn't do much to really offer individual help in establishing criteria.

we ended up starting our own homeschool 4-H club, and a weekly co-op built around project classes. many of the project classes double as Scouting merit badges [photography/ citizenship/ reptiles] and it's working out GREAT! I'm still not exactly sure what our year will end up looking like record-book wise, but we're just documenting everything and will put it all together soon enough.

My oldest is working through the food and nutrition curriculum. We're using Scouting merit badge books for some, and totally winging a couple others.

we aren't ready to throw ourselves hard core into 4-H, but we'll tag along and enter stuff where it suits us.

I do think it's worth a shot, but do be aware that it is NOT like Scouting, advancement-wise ;)

Oh, my goodness!

I had no idea that so many of you here on the board were involved with 4-H. And on top of that, that there were SO many of the WTM'ers that were in TN! (I am SO jealous of you middle Tennesseans! I miss the hills and valleys of middle Tennessee.)

Thank you so much for the thoughts and encouragement!

You guys are great!

Got to head to a pancake breakfast fundraiser that my ds is participating in this morning for his honor society.....Yummm......

(((HUGS)))),

Brenda:001_smile: