Menu

So has anyone NOT liked SWR?

mo2

::::: raising hand ::::::

I didn't want a heavily rules based program that included ALL three disciplines: spelling, writing & reading. My dd4 is reading very well after 1/2 a year of Alpha-Phonics by Samuel Blumfield. We also use ETC and I can regulate the amount of writing for her. I strongly agree with TWTM in regards to NOT tying reading to writing. Like most 4 year olds, my dd does not particularly enjoy writing. But, she LOVES reading and is zipping right along. I just think the skills of reading/writing develop at different rates in children and should not be dependent on one another.

I'm also a strong advocate of "Do What Works For You!"... so best of luck with whatever you choose! :)

I've tried it several times (even purchased it twice after selling the first copy - LOL) but I do not like it. The one part that drives me absolutely up a wall is the "think babi to spell baby". Sorry - just cannot get past that one and I've read the explanation many times - and I understand the theory (I think). Also, all the marking gets on my last nerve -

We're using All About Spelling now and it makes much more sense to me. That reminds me - I need to put my copy of SWR up on the sale board :)

Janet

I love it when I dont hate it. I love the phonograms and rule cards. I love teaching the why (as best as one can in the English language) of spelling. I love the extra activities.

I hate the "TM". It is nearly impossible to understand in my opinion. Learning CW was almost a breeze compared to learning SWR. It is NOT plug and play by any means.

I hate list N. Both my dc have come to a complete stop at list N. I really think this must be an issue with the program. How can 2 different children with 2 different learning styles come to a complete hault at the same place. My youngest went from missing very few (if any) words through list M to missing nearly all the words in list N. She is dreading spelling now when she used to enjoy it. I know proponents of the program say list N begins the more complex phonograms. But, really, she knows the complex phonogram cards and such a huge jump overnight is just a bit odd to me.

The testing lists are a bit odd too. We can do one list and get say to grade 5.5. We can do another list 2 weeks later and be 3.6 How can there be such a variation?

So, that is my love hate relationship. I started my youngest on CLP Building Spelling Skills. I asked her what she tought about it. She said, "Its fun, but I thought we were going to do spelling". That summed up the issue I have with spelling programs other than SWR. I am sure there are others out there similar to SWR and perhaps easier to use. If you find one, let me know! :rolleyes:

I just want to correct the information that there are no leasson plans: there are. They are in the appendix of SWR, toward the back.

It is NOT pick up and go and may not be best suited to every child. I honestly think it probably is best for children who can respond to a logical approach. (Thinking of Duffy's Competent Carl, here) There are ways to tweak it to make it kinesthetic, too. And it requires a LOT of teacher-student interaction which won't fit all families. (And that works for what Duffy calls "Sociable Sue's).

It is a battle for wiggly willie's, though. There's so much going on during the dication process they can be distracted from the tasks--and it may drive perfectionist paula's up the wall--unless they feel they have mastery over the material.

Not SWR, but I used WRTR and Teach Reading at Home. I didn't find it a very friendly way to learn to read (I love Sing, Spell, Read, Write). It also did not help my ds's spelling once he reached more complicated word levels.

On the other hand, I really do think that How to Teach Spelling is the best of the OG methodology with spiraled dictation.

I have trouble implemeting SWR. So, for spelling, I switched to All About Spelling. I like it very much. For m 6 yo, who I am trying to teach to read, I have used a few things in SWR, along with AAS. I am finding that as she gets closer and closer to learning to read more difficult words, I am using SWR on a limited basis. I'm sure it looks nothing like Wanda Sanseri envisioned it, but it's working for us.

I didn't thoroughly read the other posts, so forgive me if I'm redundant here.

I couldn't quite understand how to implement it all, but because I paid so much money for it and promised dh we wouldn't have to buy another spelling program..... Well, we are making it work, and I actually have grown to like it. I use the phonogram and rule cards with the kids until they learn them. We play phonogram bingo on Fridays with some cards I made up--the kids love this. Every Monday, I dictate ten words to the kids--this is where knowledge of the phonograms has been invaluable. After we dictate, then we go through the list together and underline the phonograms, talk about rules, underline the silent e's and talk about the rules behind silent e, etc. This takes probably 8 to 10 minutes per child. They do simple exercises on Tues. and Wed. to practice the words--write them on the whiteboard, write them in sentences, etc. Then, test on Thursday.

I basically just use the Wise guide for the word list, and I use the phonogram and rule cards. I don't use the composition book anymore.

What I hated about doing the full program the way it was intended was how time consuming it was for me with three children using it. This way, our time is cut down. It's not as independent as other programs, but my oldest is a terrible speller and the phonogram and rule cards have really helped her.