Menu

Help me think of fun activities to help an almost 4 year old build hand strength

nukeswife

My youngest son is going to be 4 the end of July and I bought the About Three workbooks from CLE for him since he begs to do school with his big brother and sister. He doesn't want to just play with manipulatives but he doesn't have the hand strength to write a dark enough line when holding the pencil or crayon with a tripod grip.

I'm looking for some fun things I can do with him to help build up that strength. Usually I'm ok with thinking things up, but lately I'm just drawing a blank.

My son had extremely poor muscle tone in his hands, and was diagnosed with something called "fetal fingertip pads", so we had an OT work with him for an hour, once a week, spanning over a year. One of the things that she did I would highly recommend, is to get those egg-shaped animal markers; you could get them at WalMart and they're so easy to grasp. My son was able to mark the paper with them, thereby being successful and it encouraged him to continue. Eventually we moved to thick markers, then regular markers. After a while, he could mark paper with regular crayons and pencils. It is important to make this highly motivating, for example, coloring pictures of his fave characters.

Some strengthening excercises my son did: squeezing balloons filled with Moonsand or playdough, banging drums or cause-and-effect toys, figet toys that you have squeeze and something happens (like those netted balls that when squeezed the inner bag of slime pops out) and lots of coloring, tracing, and cutting. Guessing games helped too: place several small objects in a paper bag or pillowcase and have him put his hand in to manipulate the objects and guess what they are. This increased his tactile awareness and I believe it produced more control with his fine motor movements. Of course, many of the other ideas posted above were used: puzzles, lacing, beads, stacking, etc.

I've been advised that having a child this age and up work on finely detailed coloring books (such ads Dover) using reasonably good colored pencils (not crayons) was good exercise for building the fine-motor skills and hand strength needed for writing.

ETA: We are using this approach now.

Bill