Menu

Greek Myths

Cynful

I've just recently been drawn towards LCC and in trying to move in that direction, I'd like to read some Greek myths for literature. I've spent so much lately, I'm not sure about buying D'Aulaire's. Would any of these from mainlesson.com be just as good?

James Baldwin, Old Greek Stories

Padraic Colum, The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles

Robert Edward Francillon, Gods and Heroes

Samuel B. Harding, Greek Gods, Heroes, and Men (in progress)

Nathaniel Hawthorne, Tanglewood Tales

Nathaniel Hawthorne, A Wonder Book for Girls and Boys

Charles Kingsley, The Heroes

Josephine Preston Peabody, Old Greek Folk Stories Told Anew

James Baldwin, A Story of the Golden Age of Greek Heroes

Elsie Finnimore Buckley, Children of the Dawn

W. M. L. Hutchinson, The Golden Porch

Charles D. Shaw, Stories of the Ancient Greeks

Thank you in advance,

D'Aulaires is our favorite. The Golden Fleece by Colum is very good for a story of Jason but the standard Greek myths are woven into the tale of Jason and do not provide a good start to finish explanation for a child's first exposure. I do not like the Hawthorne books because he used Roman names in the Greek stories-this is one of my son's (age 8) pet peeves as he loves the Greek myths with the Greek names.

Susan ds(8)

Sorry I can't comment on the others from mainlesson.com... but I'm with OPs - we've got d'Aulaire's and it's great. I got mine used from the sale board here at WTM.

Our library has some great picture books of greek myths. If your kids use StarFall.com they even have a few on there.

ETA: I did check out Tanglewood Tales from the library. It is loquacious (Hawthorne is wonderful, but a bit too wordy for my 6 year old), and the framing of the stories is a little confusing for my kids. It would better suit someone starting at about 6th grade I would think. So maybe it would work for your older DC?

Edited by Targhee