Menu

Biology AP or CLEP exam after Apologia's Biology

Have any of your students had success taking either the Biology AP exam or the Biology CLEP exam after doing Apologia's General Biology and Apologia's Advanced Biology (Anatomy and Physiology)? Did you have your student study anything else (i.e. evolution) to do well on either of these exams?

Dr. Wile himself says that you need to have gone through both Apologia Bio books before being ready to take the AP exam.

I plan for my dd, 14, rising 9th grader to do AP bio next year. We will use Apologia, the Campbell-Reese "Biology" book (a college freshman bio book, very often used in AP Bio classes), the 12 required AP labs (one of the essay questions is based on one of the labs) dissections, and at least one test prep book.

I will also have her take the Sat II (Subject) test, but probably not the CLEP. I think (but don't KNOW) that the Apologia book by itself is probably sufficient for the Sat II and the CLEP.

Best of luck - this will be my first attempt at an 'AP' class. Just doing 'classical' was enough to keep me busy with the first two!

Kate in Seattle

While I haven't compared the two Apologia books to the AP biology criterion, based on my ds' experience, I don't think the two Apologia biology books would be sufficient alone to prepare your dc for the AP exam. Ds1 used Apologia biology in 8th, then chemistry in 9th and then took AP bio in 10th. I was surprised at the depth and scope of info, especially biochemistry, that he had to master for the exam. Also, as Kate noted, every AP biology class covers 12 required labs. I think Kate's plan looks thorough; but then her dd will be getting the college-level material in Campbell's that isn't found in Apologia. You could add one of the suggested college-level texts to an Apologia study, but be prepared for lots of study! My ds spent 2 - 3 hours per day (including many Saturdays) on AP bio and that was apparently fairly standard.

I can't speak to the bio CLEP test so hopefully you'll get some other answers on that. And I'd be happy to ask ds his opinion based on doing Apologia bio and then the AP class.

HTH,

Lisa

[

My brother teaches AP bio, using the aforementioned Campbell text. I showed him the scope and sequence of Apologia bio including the "advanced" portion, which is just a human body section, and he thought it didn't even come close - especially as someone said in things like biochemistry. He said it didn't even cover whole areas on his syllabus.

The Campbell text sounds like it's a good standard to follow - if you look at it's TOC, you'd have a good idea of what topics they're expecting to be covered.

So...do you think both Apologia Bio books would be sufficient to do well on the SAT II subject test??

Thanks,

Faithe

I don't know. Your best bet would be to get an SATII review book (from the library) and compare the subject matter to that in the Apologia books. I wish that ds had sat for the SATII in bio last year, but I really felt he was tired, tired, tired of studying last year and needed to be done after the APs. I have read (here and elsewhere) that many of the students taking the SATII bio exam have also just finished AP bio, so that affects the curve. I think a couple of folks here had their dc sit for both exams and could possibly comment on that.

HTH,

Lisa

My brother teaches AP bio, using the aforementioned Campbell text. I showed him the scope and sequence of Apologia bio including the "advanced" portion, which is just a human body section, and he thought it didn't even come close - especially as someone said in things like biochemistry. He said it didn't even cover whole areas on his syllabus.

The Campbell text sounds like it's a good standard to follow - if you look at it's TOC, you'd have a good idea of what topics they're expecting to be covered.

Where do you find this information out? I did find this info but I'm not sure if it's a general rule of thumb or something else.

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/ap/students/biology/ap-cd-bio-0708.pdf

It has every subject and what AP info is being taught. This is great info though.