Menu

Davidson Young Scholars

Guest Heidi_in_CB

Guest Heidi_in_CB

I've recently been introduced to this program and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them that they would be willing to share.

Guest Heidi_in_CB

Has the program been helpful to you? I'm considering having my son apply. I never hear anyone talk about it, so I was just wondering if it's been a positive experience. Do you utilize their services often? Thanks

The program has been helpful. They have very very active email lists. Those lists are probably the only safe place I have to talk about my kids.

The application is a long form but it doesn't cost anything to apply. I will say that you need to have the scores on both the iq and achievement tests. If you don't have both your child will most likely not get in. The intense privacy rules are the most likely reason you don't hear about it. The program tries very hard to not get media attention for the kids.

I have used their services in dealing with my daughter's perfectionism, they set me up with a well known consultant to tell me she was acting in a normal way. They have an annual summer gathering that we haven't gone to before, but will be going to this year. I hope that my kids enjoy meeting other kids like them. But the more valuable part of the program for me is the email lists. It is very comforting to be able to talk about my kids without censoring.

In our case, it's been of limited help. My daughter was accepted to the program right about the same time she was accepted to the early college program where she is now. So, we haven't really needed Davidson much.

Her contact does check in with us every now and then. We keep in touch, and it's been nice to know that, if we ever did need help there was someone to turn to.

Given that there's no charge to apply or participate, I'd say you have little to lose by giving it a try.

The people who have gotten the testing done by the school district have their child in school and are usually dealing with trying to figure out some sort of learning problem. As a part of figuring it out an iq test and achievement tests are done. A few other people have gotten their medical insurance to cover costs usually again because the child is suspected of having some sort of other issue.

I don't know anyone in Minnesota to help, sorry.

I think it depends on the state. In Florida homeschool children have the right to the same testing as kids in public school, and can even take part in the gifted program (and, I assume, special ed programs). I don't know anyone in my county who does this, but I have read the statutes and have everything all printed out and highlighted for my trip to the Board of Education in August to request IQ testing. So far the elementary school near us has let us use the library and computer lab and take school pictures, so they at least are cooperative.

Anyway, I would try looking up state statutes that deal with special education - they typically apply to both ends of the spectrum even though school officials can be resistant to applying them to gifted children.

I think it depends on the state. In Florida homeschool children have the right to the same testing as kids in public school, and can even take part in the gifted program (and, I assume, special ed programs).

This may be true, on paper. Our experience, however, was that the school district told us in no uncertain terms that they only way they would bother testing our daughter was if we promised them we would enroll her in school once we had the results.

The program has been helpful. They have very very active email lists. Those lists are probably the only safe place I have to talk about my kids.

Oh, but WHY? *sarcasm* ;-)

I'm waiting until DS has a need but might have him join earlier if the $$$ of testing seems worth it for the advice.

I wonder if they would be helpful in making curriculum choices. It seems that they are geared more for public school students than homeschoolers. My oldest (9yo) would qualify, but I don't know if it would be helpful. The thing that stresses me out the most (right now) is finding junior high curriculum that works for a 9yo.

Tracy

I put it off for over a year because of the incredible length of application. Our testing was done before I ever heard of Davidson--in fact it was the tester who told me about it. If memory serves, testing was $350 with a psychologist who is well known in the Chicago area.

We haven't used it all that much--WTM provided most of the guidance I needed, and we're in the crack between being eligible for Davidson financial assistance with programs and not really being able to afford a ton of them on our own. However, the listservs and the annual conference have been very valuable. I personally could skip the conference, but it is a major source of connection for dd. If you wonder about your child's social skills, it will be transformational when you see dc connecting so easily and well, as never before.

Also, they arranged a consult for me to go over my plans for high school, and he was just terrific.

Drawbacks: Sometimes gifted groups are filled with overanxious parents who will croak if their kid doesn't get into MIT or Harvard. Also gifted for many people means math or science. This group is no exception. And the confidentiality police make discussing any other issues problematic.

YMMV.

Danielle