Menu

Horse people==first solo trail ride ever today

This might not be a big deal to most horsey people but Spy (my 15 year old QH/Arab gelding) and I went on our first ever SOLO trail ride today.

I never rode as a child and have had a horse now for 2 1/2 years (but in Michigan that mean only 2 summers worth of riding) and I came off my first horse 5 times--3 times on the trails and twice with bucks). Needless to say I have some fear issues and tend to think of what "might" happen.

Today I had my friend drop us off about 1 1/2 miles from her house (where I board him) and we rode down the dirt rode about 1/2 mile and then we rode back through the wooded trails and blueberry fields back to the barn. We were gone about 45 minutes and passed a dead deer and a dead pheasant with no problems. He walked nice and calm the entire way for me.

I was very proud of both of us.

Well, ds used to ride him, but doesn't anymore. Dd rides him and loves it.

I just look at him! lol. He is a big pony--half quarterhorse. And he is a sweetie.

We separated our milk cow and her calf, and so have had to put the calf into Phoenix's barn for now. He was very nosy ("What is that thing?" lol) and was sticking his head in. I was trying to teach the calf to take a bottle, and I touched Phoenix's lip with some milk. He started hiking his lip up!:D

Mar1709012.jpg

Mar1709016.jpg

I hope I haven't highjacked this thread:blushing:

The cell phone stays in my pocket or in a carrier clipped to my belt loop. The first time I came off a horse he took off and ended up about 1/2 mile away. I was with friends though so one picked me up while her daughter went and got my horse.

I also let my friend know exactly where I was riding and to send her daughter (almost 18) out to come find me if I wasn't back in an hour.

My girls were a little disappointed they couldn't go with me but I wanted to try a solo ride.

The pony is CUTE. We are looking for the ideal babysitter horse for my girls. Right now they have a 31 year old 16hh (so NO pony) gelding but he can only ride them 1 at a time for about 1 hour. I can't leave either of them home alone yet so one runs along while we ride and then we switch. Having another horse would make this a lot easier.