Menu

need book/cd suggestions on taking PSAT please.

My son (8th grader)wants to take his first PSAT very soon.

Thanks to everyone on suggesting The Rocket Review Revolution and Princeton Review's Cracking the PSAT. I could not find the latter one from Amazon.com. Could someone please post the ISBN number? Also, if there are any other materials that has helped you, please share with me.

Thank you kindly.

My daughter took the PSAT this past October (2008) and scored very well. She used the following:

1. The practice test in the booklet by the College Board, given when you register.

2. McGraw-Hill's PSAT/NMSQT by Christopher Back and Mark Anestis, ISBN 0-07-145412-8. She found these tests to be challenging but very good prep.

The College Board recommends that homeschoolers call high schools in June to find a place for their students to test. The test is only given in October.

HTH,

Gardenmom

The PSAT is usually offered around October 15. Contact your local school to register. Some 10th graders take it for practice, but 11th grade is standard. I'm not sure if they allow younger students or not.

The PSAT is primarily a qualifying test for the national merit society(hence the alternative name: NMSQT); with a high enough score in 11th grade, your student has a shot at some really good scholarships (it's a complicated process.)

You may also want to look into the EXPLORE and PLAN tests from ACT. PLAN is offered in the fall for 10th graders, I think EXPLORE is for 8th/9th graders. Check out the ACT website for more info.

As far as I know, only the ACT and SAT are accepted by colleges (coast schools usually want the SAT, midwest schools take either). These are often periodically, usually in the spring, early summer, and fall. Register through the ACT and CollegeBoard websites.

I am not familiar with the SSAT, which means it's probably unnecessary for most students.

Hope that helps! Standardized tests can be murky waters. Check your library for prep guides.

I can't remember the name... Ready Something? Put out by the College Board, the idea is to familiarize kids earlier and help them to be comfortable with the test, also providing them info on where they'll need to focus as they study for the SAT. Perhaps the College Board site has more info?

I can't remember the name... Ready Something? Put out by the College Board, the idea is to familiarize kids earlier and help them to be comfortable with the test, also providing them info on where they'll need to focus as they study for the SAT. Perhaps the College Board site has more info?

Fascinating. Find it at ReadiStep.com (While it is part of College Board, they had only CLEP, AP, PSAT, and SAT infor on their site.) Doesn't sound like much, but I don't know.

It may be QUEST.