Menu

Can I have permission to leave handwriting alone?

My daughter is doing really well with reading. She pretty much only stumbles on words that are outside her vocabulary in the first place. She loves math - I was concerned about the transition from Primer to Alpha (Math-U-See) but it's been no big deal.

She doesn't have much interest in learning to write. I've made a few attempts, and she's been cooperative, but it's so HARD! When it comes to handwriting, she is definitely not beyond her age. And here I am thinking, if she weren't performing as a first grader in the other two "Rs", handwriting wouldn't even be on my radar. So am I doing her a disservice if I just leave it alone till she's older and more coordinated?

The strange thing is, writing her name is the one thing people seem to expect her to be able to do. In Sunday School, the teacher wanted them all to sign cards for the students who were absent that day. That was a "huh?" moment for me.

Thanks for the ideas for fine motor activities! I'll cut the S.S. teacher some slack, because she honestly may have forgotten dd's age, as there are several 4-year-olds in the class who will be in K next year.

By the way, my husband and I both had poor handwriting grades in school. I learned to write early, and I think I may have developed bad habits by doing it before I was coordinated enough to do it well.

Edited by musicianmom
added more to post

Yes, you my have permission leave the handwriting alone ;) (looking at the title of your post.) I did have 2 who could write their names at 3, and one who couldn't, but I was told that writing your name is a 5 yo skill by a professional (long story, won't bore you.)

Other ideas for developing fine motor skills include play do (as long as she doesn't eat it--I had one who would even at three because she liked the taste, so I had to sit with her when she did it) and folding underwear and/or socks. Socks are harder, but I had my ds do that when he was 4 or 5 to help him.

Not only do I give you permission to leave handwriting alone, I actively discourage pushing the issue! As other posters have said, it's much better to foster fine motor development in other ways at this age. Offer plenty of craft activities, play with clay and playdough, play in sand and dirt, etc. It takes a lot of muscle tone and coordination to produce legible writing consistently, and most kids just are not physically ready for much writing at that age.

My son is five, and is two years ahead in math/reading/language arts (see signature). That said, our LA program had us starting cursive a few months ago. We are skipping it. Just because he can 'think' like a second grader doesn't mean he can 'do' like a second grader, ya know? I think his motor skills aren't ready. Frankly, his printing is not so great, unless he's really trying to be neat. But, that's ok. He's five. I figure he'll learn cursive in a few years, when he's physically ready.

Isn't that the great thing about homeschool, that we can tailor it to each child's needs? Well, I mean ONE of the great things about homeschool. :)