Menu

Making Prima Latina "classical" (or other suggestions)

Targhee

...in pronunciation. Would this be too much of a pain for Mom? I don't have a latin background (though I know a lot of latin roots via vocab studies and have studied Italian). Is the CD/DVD that much of a benefit that the program wouldn't be worth doing without them? Would it mean extra work for Mom making up for CD/DVD? What would I have to do?

In reality, I don't think I want to use PL, but I don't know what else to use. I am fine with Christian content, but I really don't like rote prayers. I want Latin, I want classical pronunciation, I want to not have to do English grammar in addition (LCC), and I want it to be engaging for my 2nd grader (will just have turned 7 when we start, trouble with writing/fine motor, though very strong language and reading skills).

I've considered the following:

1. Prima Latina - like the latin and grammar, don't like pronunciation or prayers
  2. Minimus - like the engaging style, like the pronunciation, not enough grammar (I think?) so I'd need to do grammer in addition
  3. Song School Latin - like pronunciation, engaging format, has a little bit of grammar (enough???), but I've heard it has errors and is flat out wrong in parts (got this from the LCC yahoo group)
  4. Lively Latin - has what I am looking for, but it looks like too much for my 7 year old???

Is there the program I want out there somewhere, or do I need to tinker PL or add grammar to minimus? Should I just wait and start Lively Latin in 3rd grade? (and do gentle english grammar like PLL or something now) Any input would bee greatly appreciated.

You could easily do PL without the dvd/cd, but I don't know that I would bother if you aren't going to continue with Latina Christianae. I would skip it and start LL in 3rd, in that case.

Latin grammar is pretty tough; I think that adding it, on your own, to a program like Minimus would be quite hard and time-consuming.

For English grammar in 2nd, you could just familiarize him with parts of speech and complete sentences.

Another Latin option might be "Getting Started with Latin," available from Amazon. It appears to have a very simple, straightforward approach, and teaches one new Latin word and grammar concept at a time. I just ordered it, heard about it here, so I can't give a first hand review yet, but take a look.

1. Prima Latina - like the latin and grammar, don't like pronunciation or prayers
  2. Minimus - like the engaging style, like the pronunciation, not enough grammar (I think?) so I'd need to do grammer in addition
  3. Song School Latin - like pronunciation, engaging format, has a little bit of grammar (enough???), but I've heard it has errors and is flat out wrong in parts (got this from the LCC yahoo group)
  4. Lively Latin - has what I am looking for, but it looks like too much for my 7 year old???

Is there the program I want out there somewhere, or do I need to tinker PL or add grammar to minimus? Should I just wait and start Lively Latin in 3rd grade? (and do gentle english grammar like PLL or something now) Any input would bee greatly appreciated.

Minimus is considered to be introductory to the Cambridge Latin course. Minimus is actually a two volume set. The second volume is Minimus Secundus. It is published by Cambridge University Press and is intended to lead into the Cambridge Latin Course, which is a full four year high school course. (Of course, you can start Cambridge Latin before high school and simply slow down the pace for middle school.)

Song School Latin is for K-3 and it doesn't have the level of grammar that you are looking for.

Minimus does incorporate English grammar. Minimus is intended for ages 7+ and covers the following concepts: nouns, verbs (including the concept of singular and plural; person doing the action; conjugation , adjectives (including the concept of masc/fem gender), adverbs (how they work with verbs), imperatives (commands, singular and plural), prepositions, and conjunctions. Minimus also covers derivatives. This is just the first volume. The second volume, Minimus Secundus, would pick up and carry on from there.

Prima Latina is a workbook, whereas Minimus is not, so you have more copywork in PL than in Minimus. The tradeoff is that Minimus has a lot more actual Latin language in the form of the readings and dialogues. If you want copywork, you can assign copying the vocabulary in Minimus.

The difference here is that PL is ecclesiastical pronunciation/prayers/more copywork vs. Minimus is classical/secular/more readings + more culture.

We do Prima Latina completely orally, with my kinder son. He does one lesson per week. But I see no reason why you can't just skip the prayer. We just use the cd for pronunciation. I have no Latin background and I find the program very simple to use.

Even if you don't get the cd, you could just be sure to study the pronunciation rules yourself before you get started, it's fairly straightforward in latin once you learn the rules, you can easily figure out each word on your own.

Lively Latin offers a free sample of their program and you can always check it out and see if its to your liking and if it works for you guys.

You could use PL in the classical sense I guess. But you would need the knowledge of how to use classical pronounciation to do it. Plus the program is really dry without the DVD(in my opinion).

For all the features you are looking for in a beginning Latin program, I can heartily recommend The Great Latin Adventure by Katharine Birkett (ClassicalLegacyPress.com). The author gives clear direction for classical pronounciation and there is not a rote prayer found in the two volume series! It is distinctively Christian and God-honoring in its content. I've used this program for all three of my kids successfully. I started my oldest daughter in it while she was in the 2nd grade, although it is targeted for grades 3rd through 6th.

Guest fourboysforme

I've never posted here before, but will heartily second the suggestion for The Great Latin Adventure. I'm using it with a child I expected to struggle, but he is doing well AND enjoying it. It is very thorough and easy to use.

I'm also considering Prima Latina as recommended in our first grade curriculum (Angelicum Academy) and I'm wondering if anyone has used the dvd's? If it's easy enough to teach without prior Latin experience, are the dvd's necessary?

Thanks, Nancy in NC

Thanks to all for suggestions and information. I am leaning to Minimus right now, as I've discovered it has a little more grammar content than I thought it would. Lively Latin also sounds like a wonderful program, but I'll wait until DD is older to seriously consider it. I'm going to check into The Great Latin Adventure, as this is the first I've heard of it. Thanks again!