Menu

Need help with a plan for logic stage science through high school

lovemykids

Our favourite is RS4K I (for grades 4-6). No, it doesn't go all year on one science, but the science in it is good. Another plus for us is that it teaches biology with NO interpretation (no evolution/creationism/ID) so you can do that yourself. (we supplement with other materials and teach all 3 so they know what they all are, but separate from actually learning the biology.) For chemistry there are the KOGS, where you can link chemistry to other subjects. Dd, 10, is doing the one for history, so she's studying the history of discoveries that go with each chapter of the chemistry itself. There is also a great book, RS4K Chem II that is much longer that we have on the shelf waiting for summer.

We tried Noeo, and it was a big flop for us--too Charlotte Masony for our style. We've tried a few other things, as well, including some homeschool science classes run by a local homeschooler.

Here is our plan:

5th - RS4K Chemistry I and RS4K Physics I and Oak Meadow Environmental

6th - RS4K Biology II and Oak Meadow Biology

7th - RS4K Earth/Space II and Oak Meadow Earth

8th - RS4K Chemistry II and RS4K Physics II and Oak Meadow Physical

9th - Biology

10th - Chemistry

11th - Physics

12th - AP of choice

Forgot to mention high school:

gr 9/freshman: Conceptual Chemistry by Sudocki with Chemistry Alive! & Thinkwell CD-Roms.

gr 10/sophomere: Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt (he as a number of these, including a high school text, but we got the college one for free, so will use that.)

gr 11/junior: Biology--undecided, but leaning toward Campbell's combined with a Christian one.

gr 12/senior: AP science (Chem & Bio)

This is for my 13 yo who plans to major in biochem. This will not be the same for my second dd as she hates science, so no AP courses, nor for my son who is into airplanes and may need some other combination later on if this continues--he's always leaned toward physics and aeronautical engineering in his thinking. That could change, of course, but he's been into physic questions since 4 & airplanes since 5.

My oldest does not love science, but my second-oldest does, so here's my plan for the two of them:

12yo & 9yo - Noeo Chemistry II

13yo & 10yo - Noeo Biology II

14yo freshman & 11yo - Noeo Physics II + Signs & Seasons Classical Astronomy

15yo & 12yo - Noeo Biology III

16yo & 13yo - Noeo Chemistry III

17yo & 14yo - Noeo Physics III

I don't know what I'm going to have my science-nuts kids do in high school, but I'm hoping for some kind of field experience. We know a couple of people who are developing alternative and sustainable technologies, inventors, basically. They sometimes take unschooled teens under their wing, so I'm half planning to send my science-nuts kids off to godparents over the summer and have them do an intensive course with lab in engineering and/or sustainable agriculture. Between that and CC and the millions of science books my science-nuts kids already read, we should have enough fodder for transcripts and portfolios.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed
stupid little errors all over the place

these are all so good. Many of them I have already mulled over many times before, but I am curious as to what others are using.

My oldest dd would like to have a whole handful of curriculums, she wants almost every one she has looked over. I know there are some local oportunities in our community that I should explore as well. I feel she has learned so much more on her own than any curriculum can teach her, and any that I do buy her just end up being supplemental to her own self directed studies.

Thanks again for the replies. Are there any more? :D

:lurk5:

My oldest dd ... has learned so much more on her own than any curriculum can teach her, and any that I do buy her just end up being supplemental to her own self directed studies.

:lurk5:

Ditto for my eldest (I didn't mention her in this thread). We needed something for my middle dd who doesn't care for science, but finally likes it somewhat with RS4K.