Menu

Thoughts on Latin for 3rd Grade?

TKDmom

We've tried using Minimus student workbook, but found out that there is a teacher's manual that is very expensive that would make it more common for us to study. We've been putting it off. It'll be time next year for us and we can't procrastinate any longer.

We are using LFC A for 3rd grade this year and we love it. The DVD is what makes it so fun and memorable. My 8 yo is retaining it very well, and even my 6 yo has learned a lot. If you haven't already done so, I recommend going to the Classical Academic Press website and looking at the sample chapter and materials there. I know Lively Latin also has some samples available; not sure if Latina Christiana does or not. For me it was very helpful to look at the samples. LFC very much fit how my brain works (and 8 yo thinks a lot like I do). Lively Latin had more cultural info, but I actually wanted to focus on grammar and vocab, so LFC fit us better.

http://classicalacademicpress.com/

We will use it again with my youngest 3rd grader in the fall.

LFC is an excellent program that establishes a solid foundation. It is weak in providing translation work IMO and in practicing reading Latin but it was easy enough to find old Latin texts to fix that and there are tons on line.

The readers were awful and I have no use for the activity books either, not my kids style at all. But I do love LFC and am looking forward to starting it next year all over again.

IN case you are wondering, we went to Galore Park after LFC and we love that too.