Menu

Sir Gawain & the Green Knight recommended for 6th in WTM

RedHen6

I got a version from the library for my 6th grader, but it seems to be in old English verse. I'm afraid I don't really understand it, and I can't blame her for balking!

I am unsure *exactly* which book is recommended by WTM. If someone can give me an ISBN number, I would be so grateful! I am hoping this is a little more "grown-up" version than the children's versions I have seen at our library.

Thank you!

ISBN 0-345-27760-0

Author: J.R.R. Tolkien

It is actually "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" and "Pearl" and "Sir Orfeo":

http://www.amazon.com/Gawain-Green-Knight-Pearl-Orfeo/dp/0345277600/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236798153&sr=1-3

We read part of this out loud, then switched to a version by Michael Morpurgo:

http://www.amazon.com/Gawain-Green-Knight-Michael-Morpurgo/dp/B000OZ28L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236798218&sr=1-1

But this is a version that was recently recommended on the board (Tho' I haven't seen it - we'll be redoing Medieval next year!):

http://www.amazon.com/Gawain-Green-Knight-Simon-Armitage/dp/0393334155/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1UVIOU2X64WA8&colid=2QYAUD5V3URTV

Maybe something there will help!

This Christmas I received a new translation of Sir Gawain by Simon Armitage. It has the Middle English on the left side page and the modern English on the right, facing page. I haven't gotten to read the whole thing yet, but what I've read is terrific!

*Somehow I missed that this is for a 6th grader! I think the themes in Sir Gawain might make it more appropriate for high school.

Edited by Melora in NC
didn't read op very carefully!

Guest AnniePat

I have just finished studying this book as part of a first year university subject on The Great Books. I enjoyed it very much, but wouldn't expect a grade 6 to get very in depth about the plot. There are some very suggestive seduction scenes between Sir Gawain and the Lady of Hautdesert while the Lord of Hautdesert is off hunting - granted Sir Gawain doesn't fall totally to the temptation, though not sure my 11 year old would be ready for this book.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Anne in South Australia

*Somehow I missed that this is for a 6th grader! I think the themes in Sir Gawain might make it more appropriate for high school.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

That is why we only read *part* of the Tolkien version. My ds had just had his first growth spurt and hormones were raging! (mine, too, which didn't help ;) - LOL) But, seriously, the lady of the castle comes on to Gawain *very* strongly - something my ds just did NOT need to be reading in 6th grade. Hopefully, we'll revisit it 10th grade.