Menu

Bite guards for TMJ....do you have one? If so, I've got questions for you.

I have TMJ. It manifests itself with intermittent pain and feelings of the joint slipping followed by long periods (months) of feeling fine.

In the past I had a $300 bite guard from the orthodontist. It worked well for about 8 years, but I've bitten through it and it's no longer working; in fact, I think it's actually making things worse.

I recently had a BAD episode....my jaw was literally sliding out of joint when I chewed (awful, creepy, and painful sensations all at once), so I went to my dentist. I really like, trust, and respect my dentist. He's a great guy, we've known him for 15 years, and I believe he knows his stuff. He wants me to get a specially-made bite guard. Price? $800. He did not pressure me; he said he knew it was a lot of money and for me to let him know if I wanted it or not.

Oh, my. What to do? That is a huge chunk of money. I decided to order an online product (StressGard II) for $20 (total price w/ shipping) and meanwhile start saving up for the dentist's guard IF I end up needing it. I figure I'll try the cheaper product first.

My question: for those of you who use bite guards, what type do you have? Dentist-made? Over-the-counter product? Online product? And, the important part - how well does it work? Have you had several types? Was one better than the other?

Ria

(I'll check later but it's in my room and my dh's sleeping after nightshift.)

It's made by my dentist and fits over my front upper teeth and is rigid plastic. I have used it for about three years and it has really made a difference. I was grinding to the point of excruciating headaches and jaw pain.

I think I paid around $300 out of my pocket and I can't remember if our dental plan paid any on top of that. (It might have.)

I have never used anything else.

you relief before it started to wear? I would have a consult with the orthodontist before shelling out $800. The orthodontist typically has two types. One is rubbery and not customized to your mouth (this is what I tried) mainly used for grinders/early TMJ. The other is a night guard that "snaps" over your lower teeth and is made out of the same material used for retainers, so it needs customized to you. Then the surface is adjusted to where you're most comfortable. Both types will wear with grinders and TMJ issues, thus needing replaced - 8 years is a long time to have the same one.

The one from the ortho was customized and snapped over the upper teeth. I've already seen him; to get another guard from him would be almost $400, but the one from the dentist is significantly more substantial.

Ria

(I'll check later but it's in my room and my dh's sleeping after nightshift.)

It's made by my dentist and fits over my front upper teeth and is rigid plastic. I have used it for about three years and it has really made a difference. I was grinding to the point of excruciating headaches and jaw pain.

I think I paid around $300 out of my pocket and I can't remember if our dental plan paid any on top of that. (It might have.)

I have never used anything else.

I just saw an ortho last week and am having one of these made now. I have been using a cheap wal-mart one for a week and I fnd myself clenching more than if I leave it out. I think because it's bulky. The thing the ortho is making is a lot smaller (I think? lol). It was pretty pricey, but if it fixes my jaw and hopefully makes my ears stop ringing it will be worth every penny.

Ria, I had some clenching issues (not TMJ, but grinding and clenching) and my dentist made me a "beak"--it fits over the two front teeth, and has a slight protuberance that keeps teeth apart. It is quite comfortable (actually, I should say it was comfy--I lost it a while ago). My dentist said full mouth guards could make grinding worse, as it provides more surface to grind on.

When I lost it, I had to train myself to sleep without grinding--I managed to do so, and have not had issues in about 8 years.

I have TMJ, but no bite guard.

Have you tried chiropractic? (Ask around for someone who can help TMJ.) I had one who could ease the TMJ by popping my wrist! Most chiros don't know how to do that, but I've had two who used ultrasound on the jaw and it helped a lot after a few treatments.

I do great with chiropractic help.

The first one I had covered my entire top -- or was it bottom? I gnawed through it, and it actually made my jaw lock up more when wearing it than without.

My dentist made me an NTI one that clips on my front bottom only, and it is much better. It was half the price of the other -- even ten years later.

PS -- Mine's like Chris in VA's