Menu

Latin Text for Mom?

I used Henle Latin. There is a Yahoo group where you can ask any questions you have about the lessons. It is a very straight forward way to learn Latin as long as you don't mind that it is written by a Catholic priest who starts out the book with numerous references to God, Mary, and the like. There is not as large a vocabulary (plenty to memorize, though), and lots of drill.

I like that it takes the student through Latin one step at a time, teaching the grammar and then using what has been learned in its readings and translations. Latina Christiana's author seems to have used the same vocabulary list as Henle--the two mesh very well.

If you buy it here, you should buy:

Latin I & II Text (Henle 1st Year Text)

Latin Grammar (Henle)

Latin I & II (Henle 1st Year): Answer Key

I highly recommend these as well:

Latin I & II (Henle 1st Year) Progress Tests

Latin I & II (Henle 1st Year) Progress Tests AK

The yahoo site has a recommended schedule that is good--you don't need to buy one: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HenleLatin-FY1/ It is listed in the files.

And Seton has some good CD's that go with the book:

http://www.setonbooks.com/viewone.php?ToView=P-L1HS-16

HTH,

Jean

I gave up teaching Latin myself years ago. I just dont' have the time to learn it and actually teach it. Artennes Latinnae (sp?) is a complete Latin program that can be done independently on CD on computer by student. SWB recommended the old program on cassettes in the first edition WTM. I think the only reason it is no longer on her recommendations list is that it was difficult to use with the cassettes. I know several homeschool families that have used it and loved it. One of those families has a dd in vet school and it prepared her adequately for that.

Just a suggestion.

I gave up teaching Latin myself years ago. I just dont' have the time to learn it and actually teach it. Artennes Latinnae (sp?) is a complete Latin program that can be done independently on CD on computer by student. SWB recommended the old program on cassettes in the first edition WTM. I think the only reason it is no longer on her recommendations list is that it was difficult to use with the cassettes. I know several homeschool families that have used it and loved it. One of those families has a dd in vet school and it prepared her adequately for that.

Artes Latinae is available on DVD now.

This looks wonderful (and doable!). Thanks so much!

GSWL covers what would be considered a first semester in high school Latin. The book doesn't get to the third declension and it only covers the first and second conjugations in only the present tense. (There are five declensions with the third being the most challenging. There are four conjugations and five more tenses). To keep on working ahead after you finish GSWL, you'll want to pick up another course, but it's certainly a very reasonably priced introduction to Latin.

GSWL covers what would be considered a first semester in high school Latin. The book doesn't get to the third declension and it only covers the first and second conjugations in only the present tense. (There are five declensions with the third being the most challenging. There are four conjugations and five more tenses). To keep on working ahead after you finish GSWL, you'll want to pick up another course, but it's certainly a very reasonably priced introduction to Latin.

The author of GSWL is adding online lessons, to be done after GSWL. I believe he intendes to round out the material so that it would cover a full year of Latin. (And then you would have to find something else to continue your studies!) :)

http://www.linneyslatinclass.com/

What would be a good fit after GSWL?

What would be a good fit after GSWL?

:lurk5: I would love to hear more discussion about this. I was on-the-fence about teaching latin and GSWL has been a perfect introduction for us, and it convinced me I want to continue. I would love more direction on what to do next. :bigear:

Thanks.