Menu

brown rice recipe anyone??

I just make normal brown rice by adding a little olive oil to water and cooking the rice for 45 min. I let the family salt it how they want.

Lately, I have been making coucous with fish. It is so quick and my family loves it. Maybe you could try some coucous for a change.

Or make some the day before and make fried rice.

One of the moms at our co-op made an excellent pilaf in the cooking class last session:

Middle Eastern Rice with Lentils(from the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook)

1/2 med onion chopped

1 tbs veg. oil

1 cup uncooked brown rice

1 tbs tomato paste (the recipe calls for low sodium tomato paste but I use what I have)

2 1/2 cups water

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 cup dry lentils

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup raisins ( I used golden raisins)

1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

In large saucepan, over medium heat, cook onion in oil until soft. Add rice and stir for several minutes. Combine tomato paste with water and cinnamon. Add to rice along with the lentils. Bring to boil, cover and lower heat. Simmer for 30 min.

Preheat oven to 350. Stir salt, raisins, and pine nuts into the rice mixture. The mixture should be a little watery; add 1/4 cup of water if it is dry. Place the mixture in a greased 2 1/2 qt baking dish. Cover and bake for 20 to 30 min.

I make Egyptian rice.

Brown a pound of beef or lamb with one onion cut up.

Add 1-2 cups brown rice. Stir around.

Add two can of beef broth or more, 2 Tablespoons soya sauce and 1 teaspoon of worchestershire sauce. Boil until cooked.

Top with plain yogurt or sour cream and almonds.

It is nicer with lamb but beef is just as good. My kids love it.

I love this one from vegkitchen.com

BAKED RICE WITH CHEESE AND GREEN CHILIES

Serves: 6 or more

In this Southwestern casserole, the chilies and cilantro lend a marvelous flavor to an otherwise simple casserole.

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cups cooked brown rice (from about 1 1/2 cups raw)

8 ounces grated organic cheddar cheese or cheddar-style soy cheese

1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, preferably organic

1 to 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced, or one to two 4-ounce cans chopped mild green chilies

1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and sauté over low heat until lightly browned.

In a mixing bowl, combine the onion with the rice and all the remaining ingredients. Stir together thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled, 1 1/2-quart baking casserole. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.

In a cast iron skillet, brown the rice in olive oil. Some grains may "pop" a bit (I've only done with this long grain). Once it is well stirred and browned, add a chopped onion, a half a chopped bell pepper (pretty fine for both) and the juice from a can of plum tomatoes (I open the lid most of the way and then use it to mash down the toms while inverting the can over a measuring glass. Add water to the glass to make 3/4 of what you'd need to just boil the rice. Add, along with toms chopped, season with pepper and whatever else you'd like (I use the dry Adobo and a pinch of Aleppo pepper both from Penzey's) and cover and simmer. This dish is forgiving, and if it you need to add more water, drool in some boiling water near the end.

Oh, and it is called Spanish rice, it keeps, and I learned how to do this from a Spanish grad student.

cook in different pots:

1 cup brown rice

3/4 cup lentils

in a fry pan one large! onion thinly sliced in 1/3 cup olive oil until really well cooked (on low...you want soft, not dark brown).

When they are all done, fold in together.

This recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc. etc.