Menu

How to prepare for the IOWA Standardized Achievement Test?

Sparrows-Song

Scoring High (available from Rainbow Resource) offers this series of test-prep books which are availabe BY the standardized tests. In other words, not generic test-prep, but test-prep for the test you are taking. I like going through some of these each year before take the ITBS. You wouldn't have to do the entire thing to get the feel of it. They have samples of all the different batteries except (for some reason) social studies. We aren't having to take the entire thing this year though we have in the past. There is also a practice test in the back (though it only has one reading comprehension section and the actual test has 2). It is a good resource for becoming familiar with the kinds of questions that are asked and for learning how to properly fill in a bubble ;) The only thing to note is in the Scoring High books your children will fill in bubbles at the bottom of the page whereas when they take the actual test bubble-filling will be on a separate scantron sheet. Also, in our state absolutely NO writing is allowed in the test booklets, so don't encourage them to underline or mark things in the test booklet. Testers provide necessary scatch paper for math.

HTH!

I haven't seen Scoring High but as one who has administered the IOWA for the past 8 yrs let me share a few tips. My own youngest, on his first IOWA, finished the reading comprehension test in less than 5 min. He had read the questions, answered them, and filled in the bubbles. However, he had not read the stories :eek: When I spotted that he was finished I asked if he had read the stories---No, he had been thinking about something else while I was reading the instructions to all the kids (40 some hs kids in the room). Make sure the kids know to follow along the directions when the administrator is reading them, and that they are clear to the child.

This same child stopped in the middle of a test section when he got to the bottom of the column, not realizing that the test continued until the end of all column. :eek:

Kids can ask questions during the test, and they should. Leave it up to the administrator to decide how to answer their question.

Practice completely filling in bubbles. And work a little on how to lay out their booklet and answer sheet, how to keep track of which question they are on so they are filling in the correct bubble. A good administrator though will be going around the room and checking on this often.

Finally, I always remind my parents to understand why they are having their kids take the test. For us there are two reasons. Primary it is so the child has practice taking a standardized test. Secondary, it is to get feedback on the child's strong and weak areas. Due to the second reason I do not teach to the test at all.

I give the IOWA to my kiddos every year. I have only used Spectrum Test Prep. This will be the first year my youngest has taken the IOWA, but my 2 oldest have always scored very high using Spectrum Test Prep. I have them use the Test Prep throughout the year, doing one page daily. They will both be finished with STP at the end of march and then they take the IOWA test in April. Scoring High is by the same company, the only difference I have seen is, scoring high is specific to the tests( CAT, ITBS, SAT etc.) whereas STP covers all 5 of the major standardized tests given, which is why I chose it.