Menu

SAving money by not using the clothes dryer?

A good friend of mine told me today that she saved $50 on her electric bill by hardly using her dryer in the last month. Instead, she hung and draped the laundry around inside the house.

So now I have a whole load of towels and, ahem, under garments draped in the basement and storage room (i.e. dh’s workshop). They’re on the shelves, the furniture dolly, the cooler–you name it. It’s a bit disheveled(did I spell that right? looking down there, but hey--every dollar counts!

Have any of you noticed a drop in your electric bill from not using the dryer?

So now I have a whole load of towels and, ahem, under garments draped in the basement and storage room (i.e. dh’s workshop). They’re on the shelves, the furniture dolly, the cooler–you name it. It’s a bit disheveled(did I spell that right? looking down there, but hey--every dollar counts!

Our first apartment, which was a in a two family house, we only had a washer, no dryer. I hung everything to dry. When I couldn't use the back line due to weather, I hung things in the basement. Underware/socks went onto a drying rack (way easier than hanging each piece and you can fit so many on them). In the basement, the rafters were exposed so I ran about 4 or 5 short lines (6 or 8 feet long) from the rafters. They were up close to the ceiling, not in the way for people walking around when no clothes were on them. If your rafters are exposed, you could easily do that so you don't have to drape stuff over things all over the place (and also run the risk of them getting dirty off the item they are draped over).