Menu

Vacation ideas?

Can anyone recommend a good family vacation for July timeframe? We've already done San Diego, Disney, San Antonio, Mexico,etc. We'd like to find a place where we can enjoy nature and each other--I keep finding lots of resorts online that boast all the camps and clubs kids can go to while parents do what they want. We actually do want to spend time together! Anything? We're pretty open. We really don't like lines so any sort of amusement park is out in the summer. My kids like to swim, go on walks, etc. They will be almost 7 and 5 when we go. We'll be traveling from Texas.

Lake Tahoe! It's our very favorite vacation spot. We go at least once a year although we normally go in October.

It is full of fun things to do as a family. The scenery is gorgeous. It's just such a fantastic place!:D

Galveston! Come visit us at our shop!

Dh and I were just discussing Galveston the other day. We have relatives in Pasadena and visited Galveston just before Hurricane Rita (the day they were evacuating!). Anway, we were wondering how much it's been built back up after Ike? We'd love to go to Galveston again if we get down to see my aunt this year, but didn't know what was left.

We're going on a wagon train tour. Four days and 3 nights. Lots of time together. I don't know about swimming, but walking will be available.

I'm so excited about this trip! It fits wonderfully with our history studies - next year we will study the westward expansion - they'll have real life experience as we study it!

Thanks for all the ideas. I had actually looked at doing South Dakota last year, but we stayed in TX instead. Where do you stay in S.D? Also, where do you stay in Lake Tahoe? Galveston is a little close to home for us. I went there a lot as a kid, but I've been spoiled by several vacations to Destin and like the beaches there much better. A Western trip sounds fun. We always stay at the Wilderness Lodge at Disney and like that kind of resort feel--the Old West thing. When my kids are older, I'd love to do a dude ranch!

If you like the beach, I suggest Topsail Island in North Carolina. It's not far from Wilmington (45 min?) but you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere there. We love it, and started going there last year. Last year, we got a 5 BR house (slept 16) across the street from the beach and spent just under $1100 to rent it for the week. This year, we are getting a 4 BR house *on* the beach and the grand total is $1700 for the week. There is not a whole lot to do (this is what we wanted, though) but the beaches are not crowded at all and they have a sea turtle hospital there that you can tour. You can also drive to Wilmington and go to their amazing hands-on museum. After spending many years going to Ocean City, MD, I *love* Topsail. It's great to be able to sit down and relax. You have to watch the kids because of being near the water, but they can run up and down the beach without much worry of someone taking them (last year when we went, there was a family about 1000 feet away from us on one side and nobody on the other side every day). Anyhow...this place is magical as a family nature vacation.