Menu

Supplement for WRTR?

Dinsfamily

Has anyone used Reading Works by Jay Patterson? I just heard about it today and am wondering if I should order it instead of the Spalding Kindergarten TM. It seems like it is written more for homeschoolers than the Spalding TMs, but I wanted to find out from someone who has actually seen it (used it would be even better).

Taira

Mom to 3 little boys: D-Man (nearly 5), C-Monster (nearly 3), and Little-J (7 months)

Has anyone used Reading Works by Jay Patterson? I just heard about it today and am wondering if I should order it instead of the Spalding Kindergarten TM. It seems like it is written more for homeschoolers than the Spalding TMs, but I wanted to find out from someone who has actually seen it (used it would be even better).

Nothing is better than the Spalding teacher guides, although for a 5yo, you probably won't even need that. Everything you need to know is in the manual (WRTR) and the Spelling Assessment Manual.

I think that I will go with the TM instead of Reading Works. I've read in some of your posts that you don't think the K TM is necessary. I know that many people have been teaching the Spalding method for years without the TMs. So...would the Grade 1 TM be a better buy? I guess my thinking is that K might be easier to implement myself. At this point, I only plan on buying one manual, so I want to maximize my investment.

Thanks for all of your advice,

I think that I will go with the TM instead of Reading Works. I've read in some of your posts that you don't think the K TM is necessary. I know that many people have been teaching the Spalding method for years without the TMs. So...would the Grade 1 TM be a better buy? I guess my thinking is that K might be easier to implement myself. At this point, I only plan on buying one manual, so I want to maximize my investment.

Wait until you finish a year of Spalding; you might find that you don't need a teacher guide at all. If you still think the TG would be helpful for you, buy it then.

Wait until you finish a year of Spalding; you might find that you don't need a teacher guide at all. If you still think the TG would be helpful for you, buy it then.

On the flip side of that, I purchased the TG for the first year I used WRTR and haven't since. I could have implemented the program without the TG but it was really helpful to see how they recommend you plan out your year. I found that I used their weekly/daily lesson plans all the time and they gave me the confidence I needed to work through the program without using them for subsequent years.

For *me* it was about having the confidence that I was implementing the program properly so as to get the maximum benefit from it. I was glad to shell out the money up front and have it work from the get-go rather than have to go back and do remedial work later because I accidentally missed something. But that is just *me* and as you know, everyone is different. :)

Edited by plain jane