Menu

Diagnosis needed

My 12 yo dd just can't seem to shake the flu!

She first got the full-fledged flu on January 22 (I know the exact date because she had a piano competition that she worked 6 months to prepare for that she had to miss!) At that time she had fever, aches, fatigue and all the rest.

After a week of this I took her to the doctor who diagnosed her with the flu.

She got better for about two weeks, then has struggled with the fatigue and headaches again on and off all the way up until now. So now we are going on about a month of this stuff, on and off.

I plan on taking her to the doctor on Tuesday if she is not better (we are scheduled for a huge snowstorm tomorrow, so that is probably out) -- but I just wanted to know if anyone else has the flu symptoms for this long? It hasn't been consistent, but it sure is tenacious.

I got the flu when I was 17 and it took 2 MONTHS for me to get 100% better. Unfortunately, my flu turned into walking pneumonia and honestly, it is by the grace of God that I wasn't one of those 17 year old kids that died of the flu! I totally neglected my health and walked around so sick I could hardly move with a fever of 104 at times. Stupid, stupid kid. LOL I think a trip to the dr is warranted at this point. While it could be other viruses just coming in on her since her immune system is in a weakened state, it is still better to be on the safe side and have her checked.

Hope she feels better soon.

I got the flu when I was 17 and it took 2 MONTHS for me to get 100% better. /quote]

I'd have her checked out, but honestly, many people start getting the flu shot after their first bout of real, true flu. People call every tummy upset "the flu", but real, true flu is a bad beast. I was in bed a month and dragged, dragged myself for another one. This happened once when I was 22 and once at 33. Now I get the flu shot.

Mono....according to our Dr. it is going around. All it takes is sharing a water bottle or a soda with someone who has mono, so disregard the common phrase "kissing disease". My dd was diagnosed in January, after the Dr. ran all the blood work she could think of....the last one was mono, and she tested positive. Now there is nothing that can be done for mono, other than to treat the secondary symptoms, i.e. strep throat, etc. However, it was comforting to know what it was, and to permit my dd an afternoon nap to regain her energy.

Heather

I was thinking mono also. Did the doc do the nose swab and all to confirm that it was indeed the flu or did he just go off symptoms?

That said, I had the real flu (influenza A) last year, and I honestly thought I was going to die for the first three days and went to the ER twice. It took about a month to really get my energy back, but I am 29 and know better than to push myself too hard which is not something that I understood at 16 (the last time I had the flu). At 16 it took nearly 2 months to be 'normal' again.

Hopefully you can get her to the doc tomorrow.

My 12 yo dd just can't seem to shake the flu!

She first got the full-fledged flu on January 22 (I know the exact date because she had a piano competition that she worked 6 months to prepare for that she had to miss!) At that time she had fever' date=' aches, fatigue and all the rest.

After a week of this I took her to the doctor who diagnosed her with the flu.

She got better for about two weeks, then has struggled with the fatigue and headaches again on and off all the way up until now. So now we are going on about a month of this stuff, on and off.

I plan on taking her to the doctor on Tuesday if she is not better (we are scheduled for a huge snowstorm tomorrow, so that is probably out) -- but I just wanted to know if anyone else has the flu symptoms for this long? It hasn't been consistent, but it sure is tenacious.[/quote']

It happened about this same time of year too. She had a high fever and no appetite and just wanted to sleep all the time. This would go on for a week or two at a time and then when she seemed to be on the mend, it would start all over again. It took her quite awhile (6 weeks or more) to get over it completely.

Edited by ereks mom

Thanks for all the responses.

Because of the storm I probably won't be able to get her in tomorrow, but Tuesday seems like a long way off when you are worrying.

Thanks for the confirmation that this flu can last a long time. I will still take her in, but now I won't (hopefully) worry so much!

There is so much sickness going around. I would have them check her for mono, just in case. My daughter had it last year, and she started with flu symptoms and she couldn't shake it either. She ended up having mono and was sick for a few months.

I hope she feels better real soon!!!