Menu

Help on writing 6th grade (IEW theme-based?)

Matryoshka

Okay, anyone want to help me think out a writing plan for the next year? I have two kids who will be in 6th in the fall.

I've kind of been off the hook the past few years because my mom (retired ps teacher) has been teaching my kids and a class of their friends. The first two years were great but this year she's kind of extended herself beyond her comfort zone. She's been using ps materials and concentrating on fiction, personal narratives, and the latest is "writing about reading" - basically rudimentary literary analysis, which I'd rather have discussions about than forcing papers on at this age (5th grade), but three more weeks and we're on our own again!

So it occurs to me I need a plan. :001_smile: We're planning to start an ancient history rotation, so I've been thinking maybe the Ancient History Theme-Based writing unit from IEW might work? I have the TWSS, but admit to only having watched the first DVD before my mom decided to offer her class, and there hasn't been time to do a lot of writing outside of that (although we did manage to do an outlining book last year). Some questions:

- Would the unit take all year, or just part of it (I'd actually prefer the latter - I've got some other stuff I'd like to do with them, but none of it is as structured as this - I was thinking this would be a good framework).

- Are the theme-based lessons okay for kids who haven't done IEW before?

- Would I need the teacher/student combo, or is just the student version okay?

- Would I need an extra student book for the second student?

- Anyone know what the student resource notebook (ebook) is? Is that an electronic copy of the student book, or something else entirely?

I plan on using the Ancient History Lessons next year for my 6th and 4th graders. We will be studying ancients in history so I am glad to have a plan to reinforce it with writing. I haven't bought it yet but will probably get both the teacher and student books. As far as the 2nd student thing, I am purchasing the e-book so I'll just print 2 of the needed pages. E-books are just downloads of the printable books. There nice if you can print affordably and there is no shipping charges.

I also have the TWSS dvds. I watch them while folding laundry and have just finished the 4th dvd. I like seeing the big picture first and I find they motivate me. I am looking forward to the structure of the pre written lessons. I just don't have time to make them up myself.

I don't know if you'd be interested but my dd started Jump In this semester and is LOVING it! It is designed for middle school and contains 2 years worth of material. Writing in her BJU English has been a chore, but now, it's one of the first subject she wants to do, and I feel that it will help her become a better writer. I like the TE because it has advice to help me grade her writing.

As far as the 2nd student thing' date=' I am purchasing the e-book so I'll just print 2 of the needed pages. E-books are just downloads of the printable books. There nice if you can print affordably and there is no shipping charges.

[/quote']

I'll have 6th and 4th graders next year too! The younger one will still be taking the class my mom teaches, though, so I'm not sure if she'll have time to write any more than that!

Where can you buy just the ebook? Do you have a link? The only product I can find is labeled Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons, Third Edition, Student Book with Student Resource Notebook (SRN) e-book , (or the version with the Teacher book as well) - which as far as I can tell is the lesson book (no DVD, right?), the student book, and that Student Resource Notebook, which is an ebook, but I'm not sure what it includes - and it appears the first two pieces are hard-copy and require shipping?

I don't know about Ancient, but we will be doing the US History one next year. From what I understand and the samples I looked at online, you don't need to know the "IEW" method to use it. You actually learn their method while you go through the theme-based program. If you have not looked at their samples yet, I strongly encourage you to do so. It will give you a much clearer picture. As for student ebook, it's not only a workbook but also a "toolbox" full of useful resources for your student. It has an adverb list, adjective list, sound words suggestions, sight words suggestions, words for emotions, etc. It's going to be very useful in our house. Plus, you get it for free if you purchase teacher/student combo.

My kids did the IEW Ancient lessons and produced absolutely beautiful work that they are still so proud of. It was a real boost for them. They created a notebook with their work written (in best handwriting) on beautiful paper with pictures for each story from the internet. Each page is in a page protector. (Believe it or not, this is important!) The covers of the notebooks were decorated with scenes from the ancient times, also found on the web.

We did it before the teacher's plans were split out, but I would suggest that you buy the teacher's book, especially if you do not want to devote hours studying on how to teach IEW. The notes for the teacher in my book are excellent and very helpful.

This year we did SWI-B which has also been very helpful. Because of our great experience with the Ancients book, I'm purchasing the American History plans next.

Blessings,

Penny

Thank you, that is very helpful info!

Penny, how long did it take you to go through all the lessons? Is it a full-year curriculum, or did it just take you part of a year? Did you just copy the student workbook pages for a second student?

Thanks for the tip on the teacher's manual - while I do have the TWSS, you're saying it might be easier just to follow along in the teacher's manual than watch all those hours of DVDs? :tongue_smilie:

I'm an IEW co-op teacher and used it at home prior to that. We're currently using the American History Vol. 1 set, and I teach 3rd-4th graders.

IMHO you need both the teacher and student materials. The way the newer books are, you might be able to get by with the student books because the explanations are there including sample of children's writing for each assignment. I periodically use my teacher book though because they include samples of keyword outlines and few hints that help my tired brain. The Student Resource Notebook is free with any purchase, and is a PDF "textbook" of all the levels of IEW writing. There is more detail there than in the student materials that would apply to any of the units. I also teach from that quite a bit, recommend that the parents pre-read the appropriate section in there before having their children do the assignment. I personally would recommend all three resources, especially if you're not going to have time to watch the TWSS videos.

And yes, the history-based are for a year-long course, about one lesson per week.

IMHO you need both the teacher and student materials. The way the newer books are, you might be able to get by with the student books because the explanations are there including sample of children's writing for each assignment.

I'm confused. :001_smile: Your title said you disagreed with the others, but they all said I should get the teacher's manual... so was that a typo, or are you actually agreeing with them?

Thanks for the info on the timing. Is it less expensive than the SWIs because it doesn't have DVDs? (the SWIs I thought only had 15 lessons, about half a year, and they're twice as expensive)

The Student Resource Notebook is an extraordinary value. It can be used to teach or review any of the material from all of IEW's units. It can be used as a quick reference for all the stylistic techniques. It has a mini-thesaurus for all the "banned words" and lists of strong verbs, quality adjectives, and adverbs. There is also a grammar and punctuation reference, complete with examples and exercises, as well as checklists that can be used to to edit and evaluate each type of writing. I consider it a bargain, especially if you are unable to get the TWSS.

I'm confused. :001_smile: Your title said you disagreed with the others, but they all said I should get the teacher's manual... so was that a typo, or are you actually agreeing with them?

Thanks for the info on the timing. Is it less expensive than the SWIs because it doesn't have DVDs? (the SWIs I thought only had 15 lessons, about half a year, and they're twice as expensive)

If you get the most recent editions, the teacher's book will not provide enough for you to teach it because the "meat" is in the student book. The others may have the previous editions, but that is how the most recent editions all are. You might consider the teacher book optional, but in my opinion it has it's uses, especially if you are new to IEW and aren't going to watch the DVD's. I used it yesterday in class to show one way of starting the assignment. Each lesson in the teacher book shows a possible keyword outline or notes page, which is helpful if you're struggling with the first steps.

And yes, one student book will do for a family. My kids each have a copy of the Student Resource Notebook, but my younger one uses it far less than the older one. This is her first year with IEW, and I do much more teaching and hand-holding with her.

When in doubt, call IEW and confirm what the teacher/student editions are like for the one you're considering if you're buying new.