Menu

May I have your most effective way to teach prepositions?

Kfamily

Hi! Dd is doing so well with Writing Tales 2 and is really enjoying it. I wish Writing Tales 3 was available. But, we are excited about CW Homer. We are parsing sentences and dd is starting to get a handle on this but consistently misses the prepositions.

Would you please share your most effective ways to teach prepositions?

Should I have her memorize a list of the most common ones? I also would love some lesson ideas to help me explain their role in a sentence. I think I need a better definition to give her.

Thanks!

FLL 1 has the children memorize them. We were reviewing them today and it occurred that the ones we put to dance steps were well remembered! (before, behind, beneath, below)

cW Aesop has free flashcards with a list of "common" prepositions on the prepositions card. Take those, perhaps, and have your daughter draw little pictures of a bird in all those "places" like the previous poster mentioned.

http://www.lulu.com/content/154448

I think it was abbeyej who brought a stuffed mouse and a shoebox to her Latin class. Prepositions were things that the mouse could do with the box. (under , over, etc.)

I did that, um...., but with the foresight to bring any props. So I used a girl from the class and their chairs. "Things you can do with Sarah and the chairs." :)