Menu

Is this too much? Do I really need all this?

Melinda

Okay, so here is what I have laid out for language arts in the fall. It seems like an awful lot to me, but I know all these segments of LA are necessary. What do you think? This is for a child that is going to be in Gr.1 in the fall and will have completed the Explode the Code books by that time.

Spelling: All About Spelling

Grammar: First Language Lessons and Mad-Libs

Reading Comprehension: Pathway Readers

Writing/Copywork/Dictation: Writing With Ease

Creative Writing: Various writing-prompt books we have. Also, writing

contests as we come across them.

Do I still need a penmanship program on top of all this?

I don't think you need creative writing or reading comprehension.

Narration will teach/evaluate the reading comprehension for you.

If I had to "check a box" for creative writing in 1st grade, I would put a check daily for his imaginative play time;)

Definitely keep up with penmanship! However, penmanship can double as copywork.

My list looks similar to this:

AAS

FLL

WWE (read it for SWB opinions on creative writing;))

Penmanship

Lots of good reading.

Okay, so here is what I have laid out for language arts in the fall. It seems like an awful lot to me, but I know all these segments of LA are necessary. What do you think? This is for a child that is going to be in Gr.1 in the fall and will have completed the Explode the Code books by that time.

Spelling: All About Spelling

Grammar: First Language Lessons and Mad-Libs

Reading Comprehension: Pathway Readers

Writing/Copywork/Dictation: Writing With Ease

Creative Writing: Various writing-prompt books we have. Also, writing

contests as we come across them.

Do I still need a penmanship program on top of all this?

If you are thinking these are all necessary, I see some I'd eliminate as unnecessary. I would keep:

AAS for spelling

FLL for grammar

WWE for all writing skills and reading comprehension (WWE plus library books are great for reading comprehension)

something for penmanship

The other three items you have listed, I'd just put in for fun if you want to.

EDIT: LOL, basically what the PP said! :)

I would ditch the creative writing totally. Save it for when writing mechanics are already in the bad. If you really, really want to do some sort of creative writing, ask your child to narrate some changes in the books you read, then write them down for her (sort of a What if the bear were an octopus? kind of thing). But be aware that SWB doesn't see the need for creative writing until much, much later.

I'd also save Mad-Libs until 2nd grade, when all the parts of speech are known and understood. Then I'd only do them once in a while for fun--even on a car trip.

Everything else seems fine. WWE takes about 10 minutes, as does FLL.

Be aware that Pathway readers are sight word havens. If you are going to do strict phonics, you may need to incorporate some sight words via their workbooks or on notecards. You could also ditch the readers and comprehension program all together and just get your reading from phonics readers and history (don't know how well your dc is reading) and take narrations to check comprehension. Again, SWB does not recommend using any comprehension or reading program as she says it's not necessary. But ymmv.

I have an English degree (so English is my *thing*) and I am am using quite a bit with my son - but I pick and pull and do not make him do it all. We use LLATL (I like the book studies, the research introduction, and the newspaper section for 4th grade), Writing Tales II (I like the re-writing of the stories because it gives him a topic, makes him write, but does not require him to think it all up on his own just yet), Growing with Grammar (I just love this program all the way around and he does well with it), Calvert Spelling (he is a poor speller and Calvert is to keep him up with his level), and Spelling Power (this is to go back and get all the words that he may have missed during his time in ps and because he is a poor speller).

On top of that, we do 2 pages of Pentime handwriting every day.

That said, I lay it out so that English never takes him more than 45 minutes to do all of it - and usually he is finished way before that.

Next year (5th grade), we will be using LLATL Purple, CW Homer/Poetry, GWG 5, and the same spelling and handwriting.

Edited by Tree House Academy

Thanks, all of you! As far as the Mad Libs and creative writing, I didn't mean we would do that every day. Just once in a while. Sounds like we should wait on adding that stuff in to our actual schooling, though. My kids have been playing Mad Libs for about 2 years now when we go on trips though, so we will probably continue using them occasionally.

Your 1st schedule looks a lot like mine, and really, it doesn't take very long at all. We do FLL, handwriting and WWE. I also have the kids read and narrate to me. My DS is also finishing up clicknread for phonics reinforcement. I did not do spelling in 1st. I want my kids to read really well and then I add spelling. Personal preference I am sure. I also would not do any creative writing or mad libs. I love narration at this age, but I think putting worked together for a story or idea on paper is just a little too much for them. Yes, you can see written papers walking through an elem school - but I think they are coached and canned (IMHO).

I also wanted to chime in on the Pathway readers. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the readers, but the workbooks were really, really dry. I thought it was way too tedious and we dropped them really fast (and I am not a dropper - I usually finish it because we bought it, LOL!). We still read the readers - but the workbook was buys, busywork. If I were looking for reading comp I would look closely at CLE. Very similar content and the comp part is reputed to be excellent.

If he is fine with all of it and you are fine with all of it, then go for it.:D

If you are looking to lighten the load, this would be why we are using CLE LA and Reading. The two workbooks each day will cover all of that and handwriting.

Mandy

It looks like too much writing to me. Reading comprehension can be done by having him orally narrate what he has read. If you are looking to lighten you can easily drop FLL and pick it up later, IMO, unless handwriting is something he needs more work with, in which case I would drop WWE and pick it up later. Creative writing need not be part of schooling, but just for fun.

We are really enjoying samples of the new LA almost ready coming out, after starting with FLL/WWE and wanting more structure for reading (both mom and kid); it still includes copywork, narration, and grammar. I don't like to pull from a lot of different sources; it just doesn't get done that way.

Edited by Lovedtodeath