Menu

Blood donating question

Tell me how to avoid crashing at the end of a donation.

Last year I donated just after a big heavy meal, and the nurse said that might have caused my reaction: dizzy, nauseated, vomiting, nearly passing out. There may have been some needle-jiggling there too, it's hard for me to remember.

Two or three donations in between without incident. Needles were well-placed.

Then today I had a light-ish lunch two hours before donating, well hydrated. This time the nurse didn't get the needle placed quite right and it was moving and pinching during the donation. Then as she was finishing up all the final stuff: test vials, unhooking, etc, the needle was really jiggling around and hurt. That was more than I could handle and suddenly I was in the middle of a lot of people: holding my arm up, getting a bag for me to breathe in, a bag to throw up in, cold compress, ice pack, etc., etc.

Is this an idiosyncratic reaction to needle-jiggling? Or common? How can I prevent myself from developing a post-traumatic blood donation reaction? :001_huh:

Advice and suggestions welcome.

The needle shouldn't move around like that. Tell them your story and give them one chance to get it in properly or go back another day. I have sat with friends giving blood and talked and breathed with them to keep them calm. Maybe someone that is easy for you to be around could go with you.

I used to be a complete mess with needles and blood. When I got tired of always fainting and vomiting, I tried a technique I have used before surgery with very good success. In the days leading up to it, just as I'm falling asleep and just after I've woken but am still a little out of it, I imagine the deed. I would envision going into the van, lying on the couchette, the cool of the alcohol pad, the pinch of the tourniquet, etc. etc. and do it all in a completely placid state.

I find that after visualizing going for a tooth pull, or surgery, etc. that I go into a kind of trance and just float through things. Last time I had surgery, prior to a speck of meds, I was so out of it, the person pushing my stretcher, after saying my name twice, had to shake me. I calmly told him that once a situation like this requires nothing on my part but holding still, I "go into a trance". He gave me a look like "it takes all kinds", but stopped his "friendly chatter" for the rest of the ride.

I'm Ms. Hyperalert. If I can do it, you can do it.

I have given blood probably 15 times in my life but finally had to quit because of so many bad reactions. In my case, I faint from the blood loss. I've fainted on the table with the needle in my arm (which I jammed into my arm in the process--ouch), on the walk from the table to the snacks, at the snack table (flipped over backwards in my folding chair) and in my office after an office blood drive. I've had bad reactions probably 10 out of 15 attempts. I usually have low blood pressure and don't know whether that contributes or not, but giving blood isn't the least bit emotionally traumatic, it's just the physical loss of blood.

All that is to say that if you are having a reaction to the blood loss, I don't think there's much to be done about it. I've tried everything--protein, big meals, being well-hydrated, and none of it has worked. I also tend to be a bit anemic and have been rejected as a donor several times (until I started taking multivitamins a week before donating), so that also may have something to do with it.

Terri

I usually have low blood pressure and don't know whether that contributes or not, but giving blood isn't the least bit emotionally traumatic, it's just the physical loss of blood.

I also tend to be a bit anemic and have been rejected as a donor several times

Both of those apply to me as well, Terri. But I've donated blood many times over the years, and I have always liked doing it. Civic virtue, yk?

I sure hope this doesn't continue. But I realize that no matter what, I'll be up and walking out the door soon. Most anyone who is receiving blood doesn't have that option. They would love to only have to deal with my problem.

Thank you all for your comments and ideas. I appreciate it.