Menu

Fascinating Math/Geometry Book

KristineinKS

I recently started reading this book and it is too wonderful not to share. The book is called "A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe: The Mathematic Archetypes of Nature, Art and Science" and would make a wonderful introduction to Geometry, or reading for an older child-adult. I wrote about it on my blog as well, so won't go into lots of detail here, but it is absolutely fascinating (and I hate math!) and written in layman's terms - very easy for a student or non-math person such as myself.

From the back cover, "Michael Schneider leads us on a spectacular, lavishly illustrated journey along the numbers one through ten to explore the mathematical principles made visible in flowers, shells, crystals, plants and the human body, expressed in the symbolic language of folk sayings and fairy tales, myth and religion, art and architecture. This is a new view of mathematics, not the one we learned at school but a comprehensive guide to the patterns that recur through the universe and underlie human affairs."

It reads in a similar way to "The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way" by Joy Hakim and covers some of the same material, but also much more...Additionally, there are hands-on exercises to complete, constructing the various geometric shapes highlighted in each chapter, using only a compass and straight-edge and a complete set of activity books is available at the author's website: Constructing the Universe. I'm going to order the activity books to see if they'd be suitable or easy to adapt for my 6th-soon-to-be-7th grader, but they look very promising and are wonderful in that they combine art, architecture, science and so much more!

• 1 year later...
This book is listed as a teacher resource for the St. Jerome Classical School. I just noticed it yesterday. I had never heard of it and now I see this post! I am so tempted to get it!

I was going to post the same thing, LOL. I thought it must be serendipity that I had heard of it twice in the same day. I think it would be good next year for my then to be 5th grader.

It was the St. Jerome Classical School educational plan that told me about it, too! I have it on hold at the library and will read it over the next few weeks. But I was hoping to hear of someone who had used the Activity books, since my library definitely doesn't have those. :001_smile:

I wrote about it on my blog as well, so won't go into lots of detail here, but it is absolutely fascinating (and I hate math!) and written in layman's terms - very easy for a student or non-math person such as myself.

Ahhh .... just found your blog post and have had a read. :)

Thanks.

http://wildoakacademy.blogspot.com/2009/02/beginners-guide-to-constructing.html