Menu

Winter Promise or MFW?

3babiesmommy

Hi Ladies,

It has been my intent for some time to use MFW starting next year with Adventures. The draws for me are the Biblical basis, the inclusion of hands-on activities, and the well laid out and easily implemented TM. I am using MFW 1st right now, and love the Biblical content but DESPISE the science. It is way too jumpy for me. Anyway, I was researching some things and found some threads on the repetitive nature of Adventures and ECC. The older levels don't seem to have that issue, but these 2 it seems may. That is a concern for me as homeschooling for us is somewhat of a struggle with a special needs child (behavioral), so the more "fun" and "variation" I have, the better. Problem is, due to said special needs, I don't have the time to add the fun myself, I need it done for me:) My concern is that Adventures and ECC will become too repetitive and bore all of us. The Biblical focus, as I said before, is also very important to me. Is there anyone who can compare the 2 or describe your experience with one or the other?

Thanks!

Coleen

Hi Ladies,

It has been my intent for some time to use MFW starting next year with Adventures. The draws for me are the Biblical basis, the inclusion of hands-on activities, and the well laid out and easily implemented TM. I am using MFW 1st right now, and love the Biblical content but DESPISE the science. It is way too jumpy for me. Anyway, I was researching some things and found some threads on the repetitive nature of Adventures and ECC. The older levels don't seem to have that issue, but these 2 it seems may. That is a concern for me as homeschooling for us is somewhat of a struggle with a special needs child (behavioral), so the more "fun" and "variation" I have, the better. Problem is, due to said special needs, I don't have the time to add the fun myself, I need it done for me:) My concern is that Adventures and ECC will become too repetitive and bore all of us. The Biblical focus, as I said before, is also very important to me. Is there anyone who can compare the 2 or describe your experience with one or the other?

Thanks!

Coleen

Coleen,

Some of the WP levels have a Biblical focus (Animals and Their Worlds, Quest for the Ancients, Quest for the Middle Ages), but others do not (The US History levels). Not that they don't have any Bible, because they do, it is just separate from the history being studied.

If you are talking about the geography level, Children Around the World, it would not be a good choice for the ages of children you have. I know in the catalog it says 2nd grade up, but those who have used it say it is closer to 3rd grade for the youngest child because it deals with topics such as child labor, homelessness, ect...

Heather

I used WP this year. I would not recommend it myself. If you did not like the science portion of MFW because it was jumpy then don't jump into buying WP. It is IMO disjointed and confusing. Some people love WP. The one good thing I can say about it are the great resources it integrates into the curriculum. That's about it.

Next year we will be using MFW. I just received the TM and what a difference from WP! As you stated, it is laid out well and appears to be easy to implement. 180 degrees from WP.

If Bible integration is important to you I think you may want to consider sticking with MFW only add in extra science. Think of any science curriculum that appeals to you. Ask about it on this forum. What about nature studies? I personally would stay on the MFW 5 year cycle if you plan on using their other history programs in the future.

HTH

Marsha

Edited by marsha617

Do your dc like cut and paste projects? We combined WP AS1 with MFW Adventures and had a really fun year. It'd be great if you could find the AS1 program guide used and then incorporate some of the books. Or you could just look through WP's catalog and pick out some books to supplement MFW Adventures. I am thinking that the Colonial America book and the Interactive 3-D Maps are two good ones, plus the books on the SW and NE Indians.

We really enjoyed the study on the names of Jesus in MFW Adventures, and, actually, I thought the science lessons went very well with this (and I hadn't cared for MFW 1st grade science, either). For example, the science lesson is about plants when you study that Jesus is the vine and we are the branches.

WP AS1 is arranged by weekly topics, which I liked, and I found it easy to combine with the topics in MFW Adventures. As for the repetitive nature in Adventures, I can see what you are referring to in that some have found the States Study to be that way (doing the state flower, the state capital, etc.) But, OTOH, the booklist in Adventures for the States Study was fantastic, IMHO. I loved the way the books recommended gave us such a good feel for what life in each state is like (ie. reading picture books about a boy living on a cattle ranch in Wyoming when doing the state page for Wyoming). But we also loved all the great picture books recommended in WP AS 1. It's a hard choice! But, I think if you want the biblical emphasis, then I'd recommend MFW Adventures for sure... and then just pick up some WP AS 1 materials to supplement MFW (although this isn't necessary, of course!). In fact, there may be (in the WP archives), a thread where I listed how we combined these two curriculums week by week. Check it out! :D

Brenda

If a Biblical focus for science and history is of utmost importance to you, I would stick with MFW or go with Heart of Dakota. If you try MFW Adventures and find the science isn't working for you it would be pretty easy to add WinterPromise Shoot & Sprout/Buzz & Bite or Animals and Their Worlds which are young earth creationist for many resources.

I have never had any problem with the WP instructor guide as far as ease of implementation, as the previous poster did. (It's making me want to look at a MFW guide to see what I'm missing!) It's a grid- Days 1-4 across the top and names of resources down the side. You go down the column and check off each item as you complete it. Easy peasy.

You will find Adventures and ECC to be repetitive. In Adventures, the book basket is great and the first semester is great (studying American History excusively) with hands on, but once you get to the state study, it's very much the same every week. The same with ECC. It's basically a formula with new countries changed every 2 weeks (i.e read from book "A" on Germany, read from book "B" on Germany, read from book "C" on Germany...). That all being said, my ds has enjoyed his year with ECC and has learned a lot about where over 70 countries are in the world. He has liked his study - and he's a kid that likes new and different. I got bored. Ifyou're looking for new projects and a little more variety, I would not chose ECC - Adventures you'd be O.K. for a while and then find it to be same old same old.

Beth

I am with Jennifer in that I didn't find WP any more jumpy than other literature programs. They all have their problems from time to time, IMO.

Maybe you could just do Apologia Elementary alone for science? We do about two books a year and really enjoy them. I know MFW usually covers one book a year, right? And adds in other reading? I could see how that would get choppy.

Heather

Trying to help on Heather's answer about MFW's science and the Apologia elementary books:

In the history cycle year, Rome to the Reformation, MFW uses 2 semesters. Semester #1 is body systems using non-Apologia resources. Semester #2 is Apologia Astronomy, the whole book, done in one semester time.

In the year EX1850, it is 2 semesters again. Semester #1 is taxonomy (non apologia), semester #2 is Botany using the Apologia book, and again it is done in one semester time to do the whole book.

Agreeing with Omma's (hi Brenda) statement that the science topics are related to the names of Jesus study in the Bible part of ADV. So, the topics might seem to jump around if you look at them as separate, but when seen as part of the Bible study topics, that explains how it is worked together. At the same time, you can add in time for science olympiad or something.

When the State Study gets to be repetitive, or too fast in ADV, you can shake it up a bit and change what you do with the sheets, or file them in the notebook with cut and paste pictures. Enjoy book basket and maybe even grab the game Scrambled States of America, to give some variety in it. It doesn't take long to do the whole program each day and you'll have time to add in variety by adding in stuff that's fun for your child (like a music class or something.)

-crystal

I know MFW usually covers one book a year, right? And adds in other reading? I could see how that would get choppy.

Heather[/color][/font]

I already hit send on my other post...

In the years that MFW uses the Apologia elementary books, you are not adding other science spines. So it is not choppy. It follows the Apologia book and then you add in extra library readings if needed for your child's interest level. Unless you are saying that apologia's science books are choppy, but you like those. ;)

The original poster was talking about MFW's first grade science, which uses 3 usborne books: things outdoors, Science with Plants, and Science with Water. So the topics in those books are the topics that are covered. Then you add in literature books to read on the theme. I can see where the Things Outdoor book feel choppy but it covers so fun stuff to get a breadth of topics for first grade kids.

-crystal

If a Biblical focus for science and history is of utmost importance to you, I would stick with MFW or go with Heart of Dakota.

bolding is my doing

I am using WP AW this year with my little guy, but next year he will be doing HOD Bigger. Part of what sold me on Bigger over other 1-year US history options was the science component! It uses a couple of the One Small Square books that ds has enjoyed so much with WP AW. It uses living books, doesn't doesn't jump around, and the science is loosely tied to the history. Definitely, check it out.

HTH-

Mandy

You will find Adventures and ECC to be repetitive. In Adventures, the book basket is great and the first semester is great (studying American History excusively) with hands on, but once you get to the state study, it's very much the same every week. The same with ECC. It's basically a formula with new countries changed every 2 weeks (i.e read from book "A" on Germany, read from book "B" on Germany, read from book "C" on Germany...). That all being said, my ds has enjoyed his year with ECC and has learned a lot about where over 70 countries are in the world. He has liked his study - and he's a kid that likes new and different. I got bored. Ifyou're looking for new projects and a little more variety, I would not chose ECC - Adventures you'd be O.K. for a while and then find it to be same old same old.

Beth

Would anyone recommend supplementing some of the WP activities and resources to either Adventures or ECC? They seem to be similar to American Story or American Crossing and Children around the World. The grass can't be greener if I own both sides...:001_huh: I've heard many say that MFW has enough where you wouldn't want to supplement, but what about where it gets repetitive or WP offers a better activity or resource?

I know there was a mother here (Homeschooling6?) who combined Adventures with AS1 and then ECC with CATW. Her perspective was that she had all the best of both worlds and supported two great companies in the bargain. I think she used MFW as her spine and supplemented in WP stuff. I can see that working with ECC, and it's an approach I might use myself... but that's far in the future for me.

Hi,

We have already completed MFW ECC and are currently using MFW CtG and Kindergarten program. I agree with you about the science. It is a little sporatic. I have decided to use the Apologia elementary science courses beginning next year either on top of or instead of the MFW science. I found a website that has put together a lear n' folder (lap book) to go along with all the Apologia courses. We haven't used them yet, but we have ordered the General Science Learn n' Folder for my older daughter to use hopefully beginning next week. From what I saw of their samples, I think it is really going to be a great benefit to us. Anyway, if this sounds like something that might intrest you, their website is www.liveandlearnpress.com

Katie :0)

Mom to 5 beautiful blessings :grouphug:

dd-12 :seeya: MFW CtG, TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English, Apologia General Science

dd-11:smilielol5: MFW CtG, Math in limbo, R&S English

ds-8 :auto: MFW CtG, Singpore 2A&2B, R&S English

dd-6 :rofl: MFW K

dd-2 :smash: Learning all I can while I wait for my turn